Saturday, April 29, 2017

Saving Money and Being Frugal - Week in Review - April 22-28, 2017

Here's what the week from April 22nd-28th looked like:

Progress on Financial Goals I Set for this Week

Last week, I set three four goals related to checking beneficiary information on policies, working on paying off debt, trying to put money into a retirement account, and contributing to an emergency fund.

I wasn't able to do any of the goals. On Monday, one of our cats (Eenie) broke his scapula and required emergency vet care. He was able to come home on Tuesday under medical management which essentially means someone has to sit with him 24/7 to make sure he doesn't use his shoulder and front left arm/paw which suffered nerve damage.

Because of the timing of the injury (after our local vet was closed for the day) and the severity of the injury, there was no option but to go to an emergency vet.

Of course, this has set us back financially quite a bit.

Is the cost worth it? Absolutely. For 14 years, Eenie has provided companionship and comfort to our family and to the other pets we've had.

My Dad, Mom, Sophia, and Eenie.
Sophia dressed up Eenie in a Christmas outfit to
visit my Dad at the nursing home.
We talked about how Dad used to dress up as Santa and
visit families at Christmas.
He liked Eenie's outfit.
(Taken on November 27, 2011...about 5 weeks before my Dad died.)

For the past four years, Eeenie was part of a cat therapy program that she started at the nursing home where we volunteer. He has comforted many seniors during that time, especially those with Alzheimer's Disease and dementia.

As of today, Eenie is able to put slight pressure on his leg and walk with a significant limp. However, it is major progress from earlier in the week.

So, the financial goals I set had to be put on hold for a week. I'm hoping to address them during the upcoming week.

Progress on Blog Goals I Set for this Week

I set two main goals for blogging. One was to continue to do the Blogging from A to Z Challenge (letters T-X) and decluttering homeschool files. The other was to do some of the actions in Letting Go of Debt- Growing Richer One Day at a Time.

- Continue to do the Blogging from A to Z Challenge (letters O-S) and decluttering homeschool files.


I wrote the following posts this past week:

- Titanic, Tornado, and Trees
- Unicorns, Unitarian Universalism, and Utopian Society
- Valentine's Day and Volunteering
- Wart Hogs, Wetlands, and Wolves
- Xylophones and X-Rays
- Yellow-Rumped Warblers and Yo-Yos

The other goal I was looking forward to doing because there were ideas about donating items, grocery shopping, food waste, healthy cooking, and spending time in nature. All had a connection to living frugally, intentionally, and with more meaning.

Homemade soup using ingredients I had on hand.

I'm hoping to spend time with each of the goals during the upcoming week as Eenie's health improves and his mobility increases a bit.

Smart Purchases

Smart: Finding the least expensive gasoline in the area. Even saving 4 cents per gallon can add up.

Signed up for a warehouse membership to purchase items we use often in bulk. By enrolling, I received a $20 gift card plus coupons for three free items: a package of steak strips, dish soap (135 ounces - which will last for months), and 12 bagels. There also are some additional coupons with significant savings (e.g., $1.50 off, $5 off).

Frugal Meals

We ate leftovers for several lunches and dinners as a way to save money.

My financial goals for this week:

My goals are the same ones that I had last week that I wasn't able to do.

Blog as it relates to saving money and home organization:

Finish the "Z" blog post for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Do the goals that I set last week.

Read and do a book review about Debt-Free Living and Smart Mom Rich Mom.    


*Part of Financially Savvy Saturdays on brokeGIRLrich.*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to find the cheaper gas! I realized the ghetto looking station on the same road as the Exxon where I lived regularly sells gas for like .15/gallon cheaper, it just looks so questionable. However, the gas seems to be fine, so I've been excited about making that change.