Saturday, September 8, 2012

Triple Ginger Cookies - My Favorite Recipe

One of my favorite recipes is for cookies that are made with three types of ginger:  crystallized, dried, and fresh. I typically have all of the ingredients on hand (I freeze fresh ginger that I don't use so I always have some available).

Triple Ginger Cookies

They are, by far, the best ginger cookies I have ever tasted; and they are so easy to make. Here's the recipe:

Triple Ginger Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup light (mild-flavored) molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup (about) sugar

Directions

Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, crystallized ginger, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until creamy and light, about 2 minutes.

Gradually beat in both brown sugars. Beat on medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, molasses, fresh ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat to blend. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, beating on low speed just to blend between additions.

Place 1/3 cup sugar in small bowl. Measure 1 tablespoon dough. Roll into ball between palms of hands, then roll in sugar in bowl to coat; place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, spacing cookies 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart.

Bake cookies until surfaces crack and cookies are firm around edges but still slightly soft in center, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on sheets on rack.

Note: I used dairy-free butter; and 1 cup of dark brown sugar rather than ½ cup each of golden and dark brown sugar. For the sugar, I used baker’s sugar rather than granulated. I only baked them for 12 minutes (rather than 15 minutes).

Triple Ginger Cookies

Te smell of warm ginger cookies in the kitchen, for me, is a sign that autumn has truly arrived.


This post is part of Blog Ease Autumn Blogathon challenge hosted by Blog Ease Facebook Group, BellaDazzle, All 'Bout Cute Designs, Giveaway Overload, Shoes Fashion Fitness, Survival Guide by The Working Mom and Roasted Beanz.

Whey Beyond the Naked Truth


Addicted Button 2, Addicted to Recipes Butoon, v@

This recipe also was submitted to Love to Bake Global Carnival.


9 comments:

Carrie Robinson said...

These sound amazing! I love ginger and molasses cookies, so I think I would love these! :) Do these turn out chewy or crispy?

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

They turn out soft and chewy. I tend to underbake my cookies a bit so they are softer, but the recipe itself definitely makes a chewy cookie. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I think I know what I am doing this weekend! Baking these cookies.

Unknown said...

These look and sound yummy!

Rita said...

I've never purchased crystallized ginger, but looks like I might have to--LOL! I copied this recipe and will have to try them. Thanks! :)

Heidi said...

Those look tasty! I love ginger inspired recipes in the fall months.

Annette said...

Ooh, these look so yummy, and perfect for autumn. Would you consider adding it to the Waldorf link up here? We don't have any recipes yet.
http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-link-up-2/

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Yum yum yum! I am licking my lips!!!

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

OMGosh these just sound so good. I am definitely going to have to try these....but I'm going to wait until its closer to my daughter coming home from college - so I don't end up eating them all myself!