Thursday, August 12, 2021

Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs

I've had this recipe for  Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs from Taste of Home since December 2014 in my "Want to Try" file and finally made it. It's an easy recipe to make since it is basically just chopping, pouring, mixing, and frying. Nothing too complicated. 

We all liked this recipe, though Olivia found it a bit spicy. It may have been the red pepper flakes and freshly-ground blend of peppercorns. I would make it again versus purchasing canned spaghetti sauce and perhaps add a can of mushrooms to the recipe.  

The recipe makes 12 servings, so I froze two large containers of it for meals at other times when I'm rushed and I need to make a meal for my family. 

This is the recipe: 

Ingredients

Meatballs

1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used Panko)

2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 pounds ground beef (I used ground turkey)

Sauce

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 medium green pepper, finely chopped

3 cans (15 oz each) tomato sauce

2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 bay leaves

1 tsp each: dried basil, oregano, and parsley flakes

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Hot cooked spaghetti 

Directions

In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, pepper, and salt. Stir in eggs. Add ground beef. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches over medium heat. Drain.

Place the first five sauce ingredients in a six-quart slow cooker. Stir in the garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through.

Remove bay leaves. Serve sauce with spaghetti.

3 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. I have a slow-cooker and have never yet used it, perhaps I can start with this! Hugs, Valerie

Kristie from Love My Little Cottage said...

That looks like a great meal for a fall night!

DVArtist said...

Yummm this looks soooo good.