Sunday, August 15, 2021

7 Days of Food

On Swap-Bot, there's a swap in which participants photograph one thing they are eating every day for one week. Below are seven days - from August 9th-15th - that included two salads, two dinners, an appetizer/meal, and two desserts. Below are the photos and descriptions of the seven things I ate along with links to the recipes.

Sunday, August 9th - Garden Fresh Corn Salad

I've been enjoying the Garden Fresh Corn Salad that I made to use up some ears of corn. This recipe took five ears of corn...a good amount of what we had. However, there's still more corn left. It's time to start looking for more recipes for fresh corn. 

Monday, August 10th - Powdered Sugar Cookie

I had a Powdered Sugar Cookie that I made for the Washington County Fair. Sometimes in the afternoon I need a little pick-me-up, especially if my days start early like it did today. 

Tuesday, August 11th - Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs

I've had this recipe for Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs since December 2014 in my "Want to Try" file and finally made it on August 10th. It's an easy recipe to make since it is basically just chopping, pouring, mixing, and frying. Nothing too complicated. The recipe makes 12 servings, so I froze half of it for a meal at another time when I'm rushed and I need to make a meal for my family. 

Wednesday, August 12 - Supreme Pizza Eggrolls

This is another recipe that I've had for a while that I've wanted to try. I had a lot of onions and peppers from the CSA that I wanted to use, and this recipe called for 1 cup each of green peppers and onions. So, it was a great way to use them. 

The innards of the eggroll do not have sauce - it's just meat with vegetables. I added two pepperoni slices in each eggroll which gave it more of a pizza taste. 

Everyone liked these and they were very easy to make. I'll make Supreme Pizza Eggrolls again. 

Thursday, August 13 - Quinoa with Vegetables and Raisins

This recipe for Quinoa with Vegetable and Raisins is one that I tasted at an open house at Hazelden many years ago. It calls for couscous and cilantro, which I didn't have. However, I replaced the couscous with quinoa which tasted great. What sets this recipe apart from other ones I've had is that it uses a head of fennel. I like the taste in this recipe.

Friday, August 14 - Chicken Enchiladas with Red Enchilada Sauce

This is a recipe that my sister gave me. She found it online and experimented with it a little to come up with a version that she liked. I made her version of Chicken Enchiladas with Red Enchilada Sauce and it turned out great. I added some fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden and CSA to give it some color extra flavor. 

Saturday - August 15 - Mackinac Fudge Over Ice Cream

My daughter wanted to make Mackinac Fudge for a friend who loves fudge. I had found this recipe on the Taste of Home website and thought it would be a good one to try since Taste of Home's recipes are typically very good and easy to make. 

This one, however, did not turn out. My daughter followed the recipe exactly as it was posted and it never set. Although the flavor is delicious and it is quite decadent, it isn't fudge...which is what we wanted. So, instead of the recipe going to waste, we are using it as a topping over ice cream. 

So, that's seven days of food - six new recipes...plus one modified recipe. It was a lot of fun to try so many new recipes in one week! 

2 comments:

Rita said...

Yummy week! :)

My name is Erika. said...

That's lots of delicious looking food. Good thing I just made my breakfast. Smile. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika