Saturday, August 28, 2021

Lemon Pound Cake Muffins

Last month for the county fair, one of the recipes I made and entered was for Lemon Pound Cake Muffins. I've had this recipe in my "Want to Try" recipe collection since February 2006. 

The recipe is easy to make and all the ingredients were ones that I had on hand. The only thing that I noticed - as did the judge - was that the lemon flavor isn't that strong. Although there is lemon extract in the batter, the addition of lemon peel and/or freshly-squeezed lemon juice would enhance the muffins. 

When competing in the county fair, entrants cannot put any type of glaze or frosting on muffins. So, the glaze for this recipe - which does have lemon juice in it - perhaps would have added that lemon flavor that was missing.


I received fourth place in this category with which I'm fine. There are only six ribbons to give out in each category, so I'm happy I received one of them. 

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs 

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (I used 1 teaspoon)

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup sour cream

Glaze:

2 cups confectioners' sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and extracts; beat well. Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. 

Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over muffins. Serve warm.

Yield: 1 dozen.

3 comments:

Rita said...

If I ate carbs anymore I would gobble these down!! :) :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Lemon cake is always a fave! Congrats on getting a ribbon, well done! Thanks for sharing the recipe, too! Valerie

DVArtist said...

Give me lemon anything and I am in but pound cake oh Yessss.