Friday, August 13, 2021

Quinoa with Fennel, Vegetables, and Raisins

This recipe is one that I tasted at an open house at Hazelden many years ago. It calls for couscous and cilantro, which I didn't have this time. However, I replaced the couscous with quinoa which tasted great. What sets this recipe apart from other ones I've had is that it uses a head of fennel. I like the taste in this recipe.

Ingredients

1 box couscous, plain (I used about a cup of quinoa instead and followed the package directions for it)

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided

1 pint red pear or cherry tomatoes, cut in half

1 head fennel, bulb only, small diced

1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and small diced

1/2 red onion, peeled, small dieced

1 cup raisins 

2 bunches Italian flat-leaf parsley, picked and chopped (I used one bunch of regular parsley)

1/2 bunch cilantro, picked and chopped

juice of 4 lemons

salt and pepper

Directions

Place one box of couscous in a large bowl. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over couscous along with salt and pepper. Pour boiling water over couscous and cover. Mix with a fork; cover with plastic, wrap and set aside for 5 minutes. 

Remove plastic, fluff couscous with a fork to avoid lumps and let cool. Once cool; add the remainder of the ingredients and toss well. 

Make sure all the ingredients are ready before making the couscous. For variety, sprinkle crumbled feta cheese on top just before serving. 

4 comments:

Rita said...

Just wanted to say hi.
Hope you're staying cool! :)

R's Rue said...

Yum.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Hmmm sounds good.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks very delicious, I will try it. I LOVE fennel, such a fresh taste. Thanks for sharing! Valerie