Thursday, February 27, 2014

Georg Philipp Telemann - Composer Study

Georg Philipp Telemann (March 14, 1681 – June 25, 1767) was a German Baroque composer and multi-instrumentalist. Almost completely self-taught in music, he became a composer against his family's wishes.

After studying in Magdeburg, Zellerfeld, and Hildesheim, Telemann entered the University of Leipzig to study law. However, he ended up settling on a music career instead. He settled in Hamburg in 1721, and became the musical director of the city's five main churches.


Telemann was one of the most prolific composers in history and was considered by his contemporaries to be one of the leading German composers of the time. Many people  compared him favorably to his friend Johann Sebastian Bach, who made Telemann the godfather and namesake of his son Carl Philipp Emanuel, and to George Frideric Handel, whom Telemann also personally knew.

Telemann's music incorporates several national and popular musical styles (e.g., Italian, French, Polish). He remained at the forefront of all new musical trends and his music is an important link between the late Baroque and early Classical styles.

Sophia and Olivia listened to several pieces from CDs that we checked out of the library including:

=> Wilbert Hazelzet Sonnerie - Telemann- 6 Paris Quartets
=> Georg Philipp Telemann - Six Orchestral Suites - Overture Suites - La Stagione Frankfurt
=> Telemann - Ouverture Comique - Collegium Musicum 90 with Simon Standage (Director)

Quatuor No. 1 in D Major - Movement 1 - Prelude Vivement(2:25)

Sophia - I definitely like this one. It is light and sounds like something you would hear in France. I really like the flutes.

Olivia - You can definitely hear the violin and flutes. I really like the violin and flute together. It sounds like something you would hear at a party.

Quartuor No. 2 in A Minor - Movement 6 - Coulant (5:24)

Sophia: This is something you would hear in a dream. It is light and airy. The harpsichord seems to add a little more substance.

Olivia: I really like this one. I like it more than the first one. It sounds like something you'd hear in a ballet. I like the harpsichord.

Suite in E Flat Major - Aria I: Preso (:54) and Aria II:Vivace (1:17)

Sophia: I like this one [the Aria I: Preso] - it sounds very majestic. I wish it would last longer. The second one sounds like a jig. It's fast and quick. Out of the two, I liked the first one better.

Olivia: This one is quite fast. I'm not sure I like these two pieces as much as the second one we listened to. I could hear the flute and it sounded like organ or piano.

Suite in E Flat Major - Aria VI: Tempo di Minue (Allegro) (2:24)

Sophia: This sounds like something you'd hear with people dancing. It sounds fancy. I can imagine people dancing to this.

Olivia: This sounds like something you'd hear at a ball with people wearing wigs. It's something from Liberty Kids.

Concerto in E Minor for Recorder, Flute, and Strings - I - Largo (3:37)

Sophia: I think the music sounds high. I don't really like this. It's starting to sound the same as the other pieces.

Olivia: It's something that you would hear in a sad part of a movie. It's slow.

Ouverture in F Sharp Minor -VII Courante (151)

Sophia: I don't like this one. It doesn't stand out from the other pieces. It's not a quiet piece.

Olivia: It's not my favorite one. It gets better as the music goes on, though.

No comments: