Friday, February 28, 2014

Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP 2014) - February Quilt Square

This is the second month that I'm participating in the Crazy Quilt Journal Project. The project aims to promote the art of crazy quilting and expand the participant’s individual artistic creativity and technical knowledge.

The entire quilt block for February.

My goal is simply to learn how to do individual crazy quilt squares. I'm not following any patterns, so last month I lucked out and the pieces seemed to work together and lay flat. This month...I wasn't so lucky.

This is one section that didn't lay flat.
Just did some simple stitching over it,
and will hope for the best when I sew everything together.

There were several parts of this month's quilt square that I just could not get to line up properly and lay flat after sewing them. It is what it is...I can't stress out about something so insignificant in the greater scheme of life.

I'm using a variety of trims I have on hand.
To this red one, I added two different colors of beads.

At any rate, I'm continuing to use only the trim and embroidery floss that I have on hand. I want this quilt to be something that uses up what I have rather than a project for which I have to go out and purchase supplies. It's that "make do with what you have" mentality that I grew up with and still guides my life today.

This section shows a variety of trims, 
buttons, and embroidery stitches.

One of the things I'm learning is that these quilt squares take a lot of time to create. They aren't something that can be completed in a morning or afternoon. Starting next month I would like to do the machine sewing of the block during the first week of March, and then do all the hand-stitching for the next couple of weeks. In this way, I won't feel rushed, and can perhaps add even more tactile elements to the crazy quilt square.

No comments: