Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Favorite Rainy Day Activities

Depending on what needs to get done, the time of day, and my energy level, there are a number of things that I enjoy doing when it is raining:

Go Outside and Take Pictures
- Even if it is raining or misting, take some pictures.

Flower after a mid-day rain
Flower after a rainstorm.
(Taken on May 21, 2007.)

If there's a thunderstorm, heavy rain, and/or high wind...or all three at the same time, then I'll opt to stay inside. In that case, there are many things I that I can do that I enjoy:

Catch Up on Projects I've Wanted to Do
- Do a craft project that I've been working on or want to start but haven't done so yet.
- Upload photographs to my computer and then onto Flickr so I have them in a safe location.
- Write a letter to someone who I haven't written to for a long time.

Cherry Needlebook
A needlebook that I hand-embroidered.
(Taken on March 14, 2009.)

Experiment in the Kitchen
- Try a new recipe for a meal that day.

Cookies and Cream Cake
Cookies and Cream Cake.
This turned out well, and I'll definitely make it again.
The recipe is at the bottom of this post.
(Taken on May 9, 2010)

Relax
- Remember that when I was a child and it would rain or there would be a thunderstorm, we used that time to play and relax. There was something rejuvenating about that time. So...
=> Read a book that I've started and want to finish.
=> Play a board- or card game with the girls.

Playing the Turkey Racing Game
The girls enjoyed playing the Turkey Racing Game
around one Thanksgiving holiday.
(Taken on November 23, 2010.)

Organize Something
- Clean out a drawer, cupboard, closet, or room.

3 in 30 Project in Progress
Having space that is uncluttered is calming.
(Taken on January 27, 2012.)

Homeschool
- If it rains during the weekday hours, chances are we're homeschooling. Rain doesn't change indoor educational plans and lessons.

Learning About Norman Rockwell
The girls were studying a picture that 
was painted by Norman Rockwell.
(Taken on September 15, 2011)

Now for the Cookies and Cream Cake recipe. It is from Taste of Home magazine which has easy and delicious recipes that use ingredients that are commonly found in the kitchen.

Ingredients

1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
1-1/4 cups water
1/3 cup canola oil
3 egg whites
1 cup coarsely crushed cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 8)

FROSTING:

1/2 cup shortening
4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Oreo cookies and crushed Oreo cookies, optional

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Gently fold in crushed cookies.

Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. (I used a 9" x 13" pan.) Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting, beat the shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in another large bowl until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate the top with cookies and the sides with crushed cookies if desired. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts
1 serving (1 piece) equals 533 calories, 21 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.


9 comments:

Margaux said...

Good mix of productive and relaxing activities. I often like to bake as well when it's rainy. Cute pics :)

Unknown said...

Great ideas for us to use for our next day in side. My kids would really enjoy making the needle box, think I'll have to remember for grandma!

Unknown said...

I like your rainy day activities. We usually choose to play in the rain, especially during the summer season.

Unknown said...

I usually bake on rainy days. I'm going to have to beg you for the recipe for that cookies and cream cake. Goodness. I like anything with "cookies and cream" in the name...

Sarah @ Made in USA Challenge said...

You are so creative! I love the adorable notebook you stitched! Great ways to help make a rainy day fun.

Shannon said...

I have to go check out your etsy site. you are so creative!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe addition! I pinned it, and am going to make it on Friday!! :)

Laura S Reading said...

Today is a half rainy day here. One of my favorite things to do?
Catch up on blog reading!

Rita said...

Those sound like wonderful rainy day things to do! :)