Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wishing I Could Knit

Today's question for the Summer Blog Challenge asks: "What's a skill you wish you had?" I wish I could knit.

Seeing the wooden knitting needles always makes me want to give knitting a try again.

macro knitting


So I can make clothes for the cats. They seem to always sit next to a heat vent during the winter time. Perhaps a cute little sweater would help them stay warm.

Rascal the Cat in HandKnit Sweater


I could make clothes for Sophia, Olivia, and me...like socks, mittens, hats, sweaters, scarves, and shawls.

shawl


Or I could make squares for creating a beautifully-textured afghan.

sample square


Just browsing at photos of knitted pieces makes me think that it is worth trying again. Even though my mom patiently tried to teach me to knit and I couldn't grasp how to do it when I was ten years old, doesn't mean I couldn't learn how to knit now.

Perhaps I'll start small...with a dishcloth. A nice, simple square dishcloth. It would be a skill worth trying to learn again. It's one that I have wanted to do for more than three decades.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love knitting, but sometimes wish I new how to crochet.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I have heard that big, thick needles and big thick yarn net quick success with knitting. As I am trying a new plan (and relationship) with food, knitting may be another way to deal with "it is night and I want to nibble" syndrome.

Thanks for reminding me I sort of know this skill!

My Wished for Skill....

Nicole GF said...

I have tried knitting. I was looking for something to do with my hands to help me stop smoking. I couldn't get the hang of it. My son was better at it than I was!

Shannon said...

Every time I walk by my flute, I want to take it out and play. Except that I sold one of them and it turned out that the other one developed a mold problem during storage and needs some work to be usable again. For some reason the beginning of this post made me think of that again. Usually I play a few times a year, but that isn't happening anymore.