Saturday, August 18, 2012

Crock Pot Mongolian Beef - Saw It/Made It

On the third Friday of each month Frugal Foodie Mama hosts Pin & Link Up Fridays. This week I made Crockpot Mongolian Beef. I saw the recipe pinned from Very Culinary, and it was linked back to Notes from the Heartland.

This is what my version of the recipe turned out like:


The other links showed the dish as having less sauce and more meat, and the top sprinkled with green onions. Although my presentation and photography pales in comparison...what can't be conveyed is how great this recipe tastes!

Within a couple of hours of it cooking on low, the different seasonings started to mingle and the house smelled wonderful. It was liked being in a restaurant.

I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so I did make some modifications to the original recipe. Those changes are noted by the ingredient I changed.

Here's the recipe:

Crock Pot Mongolian Beef
Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on low

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pound flank steak or ball tip steak (I used beef cut for stew)
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1/4 cup white wine (I used water instead)
• 1/4 cup cooking sherry
• 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I used 1 tablespoon instead since I used water instead of white wine as noted above)
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon molasses
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 teaspoon dried onion
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
• 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (I didn't include this because Olivia doesn't like spicy food)
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter (I used chunky peanut butter)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic in a jar)
• 4 scallions, chopped (I used a small onion instead)

Directions

Slice the meat thin and coat evenly with the cornstarch, shaking off any excess.

Put all the liquids and dry spices into the crock pot, add sunflower butter (or peanut butter) and mix well. Add garlic and scallions. Put meat on top, toss gingerly.

Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve over white rice.

If you like the recipe, here's the pin that inspired me to try the recipe, and my pin.

Photobucket

This also is linked to Nature's Nurture.

3 comments:

Carrie Robinson said...

This looks amazing! :) And I love most anything you can throw in a Crock Pot. Definitely pinning this one!

Thank you so much for linking up with my Pinspiration in the Kitchen Party! :)

Gina Kleinworth said...

Now that looks delish!!! This is one of my favorites.

Jaime said...

This looks great! I'm always on the hunt for new slow-cooker meals! Thanks so much for sharing this at Pinspiration in the Kitchen!

I would love to invite you to share this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays as well! I'm hosting a giveaway this week too with 10 awesome prizes! I hope you can join the party!

Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen