Thursday, August 30, 2012

Adventuresome Eating as a Child

Today's prompt for the Summer Blog Challenge is "Write about the strangest food you've eaten."

Wood Frog from the Top
Wood frog that was in the backyard.
(Taken on May 29, 2011.)

When I was in China in 2000 and 2003, there were plenty of opportunities to try food that I normally would not have eaten on a daily basis in Minnesota. At one restaurant, for example, you could pick what you wanted from the blue bins - turtles, snakes, insects, and other items I normally don't eat.

Despite these unusual foods and opportunities to eat them (which I didn't, by the way...I stuck with lots of fresh vegetables and fruits as well as rice), one memory sticks out from childhood about eating an unusual dinner. I think I was more adventuresome then because I ordered frog legs and shrimp.


This item was on the menu at a restaurant that my dad and mom took my sister, brother, and I for dinner one night. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I remember that I picked the most unusual thing on the menu.

My mom asked me, "Are you sure you're going to eat that."

"Yes," I answered.

"If you order that, you're going to eat it. You're not going to be able to order something else if you don't like it. Are you sure you don't want something like a hamburger?"

"Nope...I want to try frog legs and shrimp."

And so I did. I remember the frog legs tasting like chicken. Would I order them again? Probably not. But, I managed to eat the entire dinner (much to my parents' surprise), and didn't complain once. I guess I didn't want to lose any opportunities in the future to go out to eat with them.

Northern Leopard Frog
Northern Leopard Frog that was in the pasture.
(Taken on April 30, 2011.)

Now, I much prefer to see frogs in the wild. There have been so many interesting varieties here at the farm over the years. This, to me, is a much better way to enjoy frogs.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Never tried frogs legs. The weirdest thing I ever ate was on a dare--assorted chocolates (and I knew what they were)--ants, bees, grasshoppers, and caterpillars. Would I do it again. No. LOL!

I've seen some of the things they eat in Asia on travel shows in TV and I'd be eating a whole lot of rice! :)