Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 24 - Thanksgiving Turkey Luminaries

The girls and I made 15 luminaries for Thanksgiving. The idea came from Family Fun magazine a few years ago. Have wanted to make them, but never have made the time. With this month being "Art Every Day Month" I decided that I was going to take the time to make them.

To make the luminaries, take a small bowl and trace around the edge on the side that doesn't have the fold. Cut the circle out. From the circle, make an outline of a turkey body. (Family Fun has a pattern on their website, but the design is so simple I just sketched it myself.) Cut the turkey shapes out.

I used translucent paper for the white background and the triangular feathers (red, orange, gold, and yellow). This is the same paper I use for the window stars that I make in my shop, Harvest Moon by Hand.

On the white paper, cut out circles that are about 1/4" larger than the bowl. Glue this onto the paper bag to cover the hole. From the colored paper, cut trianges in various sizes. Using a glue stick, glue them onto the white paper. Then, glue the brown turkey body over the colorful feathers.

Place some sand and a tealight into each bag. Light the tealight to reveal the pattern and colors.

(Side note: Unfortunately, it was so cold and windy the luminaries couldn't be used outside on Thanksgiving, so I put 4 - out of the 15 we made - on the counter so the little kids could see them.) Maybe next year they'll be able to put outside.

No comments: