First, though, I needed to mix together the essential oils to create the blend. The recipe on Heartland Renaissance uses quite a bit of essential oils.
The five essential oils that are needed to make
homemade Thieves Oil.
In some cases, like with the clove and lemon, I would have had to buy three bottles of essential oils. So, I purchased 5 ml bottles which was more than sufficient for making half of the recipe.
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Clove Essential Oil
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Lemon Essential Oil
2-1/2 teaspoons (12.5 ml) Cinnamon (Cassia) Bark Essential Oil
2 (10 ml) teaspoons Eucalyptus Essential Oil
2 (10 ml) teaspoons Rosemary Essential Oil
A carrier oil of your choice (e.g., sweet almond oil, grapeseed, apricot kernel. I used almond oil)
Dark-colored bottles with droppers (e.g., 1-ounce size, some with regular screw tops and a few dropper tops)
I measured out five essential orders using measuring spoons.
Then put the measured amounts into a metal measuring cup.
The five essential oils blended together.
I haven't diluted the essential oil blend yet with the sweet almond oil. I still need to get some dark-colored bottles. Until then, I'll focus on how to use the undiluted homemade Thieves Oil.
Undiluted homemade Thieves Oil can be used by adding:
- 1 drop per ounce of water for use as an all-purpose disinfecting spray, room spray, or fabric/mattress spray at this ratio
- a few drops mixed with baking soda for use as a disinfectant scrub (e.g., bathtubs, sinks)
- 1-9 drops in a bowl of just-boiled water or a humidifer for room purification
- a maximum of 8 drops in a bath or shower (more could be used for adults and less for children)
- 8 drops to a diffuser to clean the air (this is ideal during cold and flu season)
- 5-10 drops in a washing machine to disinfect toys or sheets
- a few drops mixed into the water of a steam vacuum
- 1-2 drops on a soft cloth to clean and disinfect items (e.g., computers, cell phones)
Almond oil that the essential oils will be mixed with.
In diluted form, there are many uses for
the essential oil/almond oil mixture.
Diluted homemade Thieves Oil can be used topically:
- As a hand sanitizer
- By rubbing it onto the chest, neck, and ears to ward away the cold and flu and help open up the sinuses
- By dabbing a drop on one's temples to help ward away a headache
- By massaging it onto the bottom of one's feet to ward away a cold and flu
- By massaging it onto the small of one's back and the back of one's neck to minimize aches and pains during cold and flu season
- By dabbing a drop on an insect bite to make it stop itching
Heartland Renaissance also said, "Make sure that you clearly label your essential oil blends and keep them away from children. Yes, they are safe to use, sparingly on children, but they should be administered by the hands of a knowledgeable adult." That's good advice!