Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Embroidered Hummingbird Ornament - Art Every Day Month - Day 27

On the 27th day of Art Every Day Month, I made a hand-embroidered hummingbird ornament. The free pattern is from Downeast Thunder Farm where there is a wide selection of patterns of birds from which to choose.

There are six different felt pieces that I embroidered together to create the hummingbird.

The hummingbird I embroidered. 
It is sitting in the Christmas cactus plant that my Dad gave me many years ago.
It is just starting to bloom...right before Thanksgiving.

I followed the directions with the exception of the eyes. Instead of using a trio of black beads, I used a a few stitches of white embroidery floss to create an eye.

The beak is a toothpick that I colored with a black Sharpie pen.
It is inserted between two layers of felt 
once I was stitching the bird together.

At this point, I haven't put hangers on the birds that I have embroidered. I'm thinking that I may make quite a few different varieties and then do a hands-on type of bird activity at the nursing home in the spring.

In that way the seniors can touch the birds and perhaps handling the "birds" will help unleash some memories they have of feeding and enjoying them throughout their lives.

3 comments:

creatorme said...

Sweet hummingbird. You did a great job on it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a beautiful bird, an exciting concept, and a poignant story about the people in the nursing home. What a wonderful gift you have made for your family, and later for others to enjoy.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

It's a great bird....and a wonderful idea for the seniors...