Thursday, November 28, 2013

Great Horned Owl Embroidered Ornament - Art Every Day Month - Day 28

Today I hand-embroidered a Great Horned Owl for the 28th day of Art Every Day Month. The pattern came from Downeast Thunder Farm.

There are eight felt pieces in five different colors that are needed to create this owl. As I looked at the original, it appears that there may be a white and orange used for the eyes - even though the pattern notes that orange should be used for the eyes.


I think I like white - or even a very pale orange - compared to the orange I used. Also, I chose not to use button for the eyes. I didn't want any loose parts on any of the bird ornaments that I am making.



Having all the felt pieces - rather than having beads and buttons sewn on - will be safer when I use these around seniors in the spring.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm thinking about creating a wide variety of birds using the free patterns on Downeast Thunder Farm's website. I'll use the birds for hands-on activities with seniors at the nursing home where Sophia, Olivia, and I volunteer.

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Other than accidentally putting the birds in their mouths, I can see that seniors and babies tend to need to be treated similarly. This will be fun to see what happens when the seniors get to feel and touch each of them. Until then, have fun and enjoy them during the upcoming Christmas season.

Judy Hartman said...

It is SO nice that you volunteer at a nursing home and these owls look like they would make a lovely project! Very sweet - I love owls! I'll have to look at the patterns on that link!!

Vicki Miller said...

This is gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing the others when you make them

Andria said...

Aww, that's just great! I love owl's!

Rita said...

Cute! The orange eyes are fine.
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! :)