Friday, November 8, 2013

French Muffins - Art Every Day Month - Day 8

This is a bit unusual for the Art Every Day Month challenge, but today's focus is on making a recipe I've never tried before. This one is for French Muffins that I saw on a pin that led to Velvet Lava.

French muffin that I made.

Originally when I pinned the recipe, I read it so quickly that I thought it said, "French Toast Muffins." I guess French toast was on my mind at the time.

Anyway, the recipe looks similar to one I've made before, yet I wanted to have something warm and homemade for breakfast. The ingredients are all ones that are commonly found in a kitchen:

Muffin Ingredients
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg (preferably room temperature)
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk

Topping Ingredients
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add melted butter, egg, and milk. Stir just until combined, but still a bit lumpy. Do not overmix (overmixing will ruin the texture of the baked muffins).

Scoop batter into muffin tins that have sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they just start to turn a bit golden at the edges.

For the topping, mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Place melted butter in another small bowl. Dip the warm muffins in melted butter (either just the top or the entire muffin), and dip or roll the muffin in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

 Note: You may have leftover topping. The extra topping could be used for dipping, while eating the muffins. The other option is to reduce the ingredients by half so you don't waste food.

Enjoy!

The recipe makes 12 smaller muffins.
If more batter was used per muffin,
the recipe would yield about 7-8 muffins.

*~*~*~*~*~*

As a side note, I've been enjoying going through each of my boards on Pinterest and choosing a project to do each day. Having the Art Every Day Month challenge.  - where I am creating/making something each day during November - has been a great motivator "to do" rather than "to look."

No comments: