Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Lavosh Crackers

Each year for the county fair, I enter a variety of baked goods. I never use recipes that are "tried and true." No...that would take away the element of surprise for me. I search Pinterest or my "want to make" files for recipes I want to try. 

This year, for the Crackers category, I made Lavosh Crackers from this pin that lead to Chef not Required. The recipe called for a Middle Eastern spice. I didn't have it, so I ended up using an "Everything" topping - the kind that you use on bagels. 

The number of ingredients is minimal and the process to make them very easy. I really liked how they turned out...plus they won a Reserve Champion award at the county fair! Not bad for a first try making this recipe. 

The only thing I would change about this recipe is to mix the topping into the dough so that it doesn't fall off the crackers. Lightly sprinkling a little bit of salt on the crackers would be good.

Ingredients 

1 cup plain/all-purpose flour 

¼ tsp fine salt plus extra for sprinkling 

3 tablespoon olive oil, divided 

¼ cup water, plus more if needed 

1 teaspoon za'atar spice blend (I used the Everything topping instead)

¼ teaspoon ground cumin (I skipped this since I was using a different set of spices)

Instructions 

Preheat oven to 375F and set aside 2 baking trays (see notes). Combine za'atar (1 tsp) and ground cumin (¼ tsp) in a small bowl and set aside. (Alternatively, measure the everything topping and put aside.)

In a medium-size bowl, combine plain (all-purpose) flour (1cup) and salt (¼ tsp), making a well in the center. Add olive oil (2 tbsp) and water (¼ cup) to the well, and mix gradually until you have a shaggy dough (if it looks a little dry add more water 1 teaspoon at a time). 

Still in the bowl, use your hands to bring this shaggy dough into a rough ball then turn the dough ball out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough slightly to make it more uniform, about 10-15 strokes is all it should need. 

Divide this ball of dough into three even-ish portions. Working with one portion at a time, roll out the dough as thinly and evenly as you can - about 1/18" thick. Using a sharp pizza cutter, cut dough into your desired shapes (long strips, squares, etc.) then place the crackers on a baking tray. You don't want them to overlap, but they also won't spread as they cook. 

Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining olive oil (1 tbsp) evenly over the surface of the crackers, then sprinkle them evenly with combined za'atar and cumin. Finally, sprinkle with fine salt to taste. 

Bake for 6-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the baking tray. 

Notes 

I divided my dough into 3 portions just to make it a more manageable size to roll out. I find this makes it easier to roll the dough thinly and evenly. The thinner the better for these crackers. These crackers don't spread as they cook, so you can put them pretty close together on the baking tray. 

You really need to watch these crackers carefully in the oven. Because they are so thin, a difference of 1 minute can leave you with very dark crackers! Check on them first at the 6-minute mark - because ovens vary and so will your dough thickness. 

The crackers can be stored in an airtight container once completely cool. 

No comments: