Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Zucchini Spice Cake


Zucchini Spice Cake
Originally uploaded by Pictures by Ann

Tried a new recipe this week for the 52 Weeks of Baking project. Originally I signed up for the swap on Swap-Bot, but the swap hostess didn't check in and assign partners.

I still want to continue with this project because my goal is to:

- complete a full year of trying new baking recipes each week,

- note any modifications I make to the recipe (particularly as they relate to making them dairy-free so Sophia can enjoy them),

- include a lesson learned as it relates to baking and life, and

- include a picture of what the recipe looks like.

The recipes will be made into a cookbook that I'll give to each of my daughters when they are older - when they are on their own and need to cook for themselves.

Here's the recipe for the week. It's timely...since this is the time of the year when a lot of people are giving away zucchini because they have too many of them.

Zucchini Bread
(Kinderhaus Cooks)

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup raisins
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
½ tsp. vanilla

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, zucchini, and raisins. In another bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and stir until moist.

Turn into a greased 9” x 13” pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. You could make small loaves or muffins also. Just adjust your baking time. Freezes well.

This was a new recipe I tried to use a zucchini. It was very moist and had a nice cinnamon flavor to it. The raisins puffed up and were soft. I'd definitely make it again. The next time I make it, I may double the cinnamon and nutmeg perhaps…or use apple pie seasoning instead.

Both Sophia and Olivia liked it (Sophia as it was and Olivia prefers it without raisins and picked out each one to give to Sophia or me). Olivia noticed the green bits of zucchini, but when I told her there was no taste and it just made the bread very moist, then she was fine with eating it.

Lesson Learned:

Don’t be afraid to try cook with vegetables and fruits with which you don’t normally cook. I use to grow zucchini many years ago. I had a bumper crop one year and it seemed like there were many zucchini that went to waste. I just couldn’t keep up with using them or giving them away.

Although I don’t like zucchini in stir fries or salads, I do like it when it is used in baking to add moisture to a recipe. The trick is to get the pieces so fine that you really can’t see them. When the green skin is in, unfortunately, you can see the zucchini (the “surprise!” ingredient) in whatever you’re making. If you peel it, then you don’t see it which helps those people who don’t want to know they’re eating it.

No comments: