Thursday, October 4, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

I've been looking for some recipes that are healthy choices for breakfast. I recently saw this image which was from Watching What I Eat for peanut butter banana oat breakfast cookies.

Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:

2 ripe bananas, mashed until smooth and creamy
1/3 cup peanut butter ~ creamy or chunky
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used homemade applesauce)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (can be made without, cookie will just be lower in protein; I didn't include this)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavor extract (optional; I used this)
1 1/2 cups quick oatmeal ~ uncooked (or use old fashioned oats for more oatmeal texture)
1/4 cup chopped nuts (peanut, walnut, or your favorite; I didn't include nuts because I knew Sophia and Olivia wouldn't eat the cookies if nuts were in them)
1/4 cup carob or chocolate chips (optional; I did include chocolate chips)

Directions:

Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix mashed banana and peanut butter until completely combined.  Add the applesauce, vanilla protein powder, and the extract(s). Mix again until all are completely combined.

Add in the oatmeal and nuts to the banana mixture and combine. (Add the optional carob/chocolate chips at this time if you want them mixed throughout.)

Let dough rest for 10 minutes.

Drop cookie dough, by spoonfuls, onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and flatten cookies into rounds. (If you just want the carob/chocolate chips on the top of the cookies, add them now.)

Bake cookies about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and done. (Note: the cookies were done at 25 minutes in my oven.)

Remove from oven and let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack. (If you want the traditional fork tong marks on the cookies, use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to score the tops of the cookies while they're still warm. Note: I tried to do this after about 5 minutes and it didn't work. The only thing that happened was the melted chocolate from the chips oozed out.)

When cookies are completely cool, store in a covered container. Enjoy!

Note: The original recipe said that it makes 12 large cookies or 16 standard-size cookies. However, I was able to get only 12 cookies from the recipe. 

They aren't particularly large cookies, and I don't think just one cookie would fill an average-size child, teen, or adult. I think a couple cookies with some fresh fruit and a glass of juice or milk would make a nice, healthy breakfast.


This recipe was featured on A Little Sunday Potluck on Frugal Foodie Mama.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy...it is nice they can be made with or without the protein powder....The protien powder would be great for breakfast cookies, but I never have it in the house and would like to make them anyways :) THANKS!

Carrie Robinson said...

OMgosh!! I got vanilla protein powder in my Foodie Pen Pal package & I had no clue what to do with it! Now I at least have one recipe idea! Thanks so much for sharing. Making these this weekend. :)Perfect because I have a couple of ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen island too. It is fate, lol.

Rita said...

These sound easy enough to make and quite yummy. I am always adapting recipes--LOL! ;)

Nicole said...

These look so good! I will definitely have to try to make these for husband. Thanks so much for linking up with us for Find + Follow Friday :D Following you!

♥Nicole @ Me + the Moon

Annette said...

This looks great! I need something quick, easy, and portable for Friday mornings when we have co-op. These look perfect!

Anonymous said...

Ooh those look delicious! I just made a bunch of applesauce, so these are next! Thanks for sharing :)

Romina said...

My son would love this. I've been trying to look for ways to boost food and never thought of adding stuff to cookies. I will from now on. Thanks for the tip.

Carrie Robinson said...

I am making this tonight. Just curious if you know, but will these freeze well? Thinking it would be nice to make a batch of these and have some in the freezer for quick breakfasts- just pop one in the fridge to defrost the night before?

Carrie Robinson said...

Hey dear- just wanted to let you know that I featured your recipe on my ~A Little Sunday Potluck~ post today. Please stop on over & check it out and grab my Featured button if you feel so inclined. :)
http://www.thefrugalfoodiemama.com/2012/10/a-little-sunday-potluck-10712.html