Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Charley Weaver - A Family Heirloom

When I was a child, my Dad use to show my sister, brother, and me a Charley Weaver bartender toy that he received as a gift. Charley Weaver shakes the mixer and then "pours" the martini in the glass. Charley takes a sip, his face lights up, and then smoke comes out of his ears.

Charley Weaver Bartender Toy
Charley Weaver in action.

Back in the early 1970s, we were obviously entertained by rather odd toys. I couldn't imagine a parent these days pulling out her or his bartender toy and having the kids be equally enthralled (unless it was, of course, a family heirloom).

About a year and a half ago, on May 12, 2011, I took Charley Weaver out of my Dad's Deacon office at home. My parents hadn't seen Charley Weaver in action for a long time - probably 30+ years. Needless to say, they enjoyed seeing him and laughed as the smoke came out of his ears.

I think it brought back some happy memories for my Dad who was in the late stages of Alzheimer's Disease at that point. It was these little things - a toy, a flower, music, or a bowl of ice cream - that could bring incredible joy to my Dad at that point.

After my Dad died, the one thing I wanted was Charley Weaver. It was something that truly was a family heirloom, and something that had so many memories and laughs tied to it.

So, when my Mom asked what my sister, brother, and I each wanted that remind us of Dad, my Mom was surprised that out of all the things I wanted, this toy would be the thing that I would choose.

"You can choose something that has more value...something more expensive than that," she suggested.

"No...I would like to have Charley Weaver...if that's okay with you."

And it was.

So, Charley Weaver sits in his box in my office closet just like he did in my Dad's office. I'm afraid that if he would be displayed, something would happen to him. Charley Weaver will come out periodically so I can show Sophia and Olivia how the smoke comes out of his ears and his face turns red.

Seeing a family heirloom like this infrequently makes me appreciate it more...and I hope that the same excitement I had when I was young and got to see Charley Weaver in action is passed along to Sophia and Olivia.

Whey Beyond the Naked Truth

7 comments:

What Remains Now said...

What a sweet and funny story. I think you picked the perfect heirloom.

Unknown said...

heirlooms! so nice - love the story

Unknown said...

Aw. That's an awesome heirloom to go with an awesome story! Thanks for sharing. And I'm glad you got to keep something to reminds you of your dad and happy times. :)

Irish Italian Blessings said...

I love that you picked a toy that meant something to you. You can't put a price on that becuase it's priceless!

I Wouldn't Trade Nothing for My Journey Now said...

what a great memory!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I wonder if it was one of the "gag" gifts of the 70's like the little boys that you pull down their pants toys and they squirt water?

Heidi said...

I've never seen a toy like that before but it sounds really neat and unique!