Friday, October 26, 2012

Apple Granola Dessert

One of the magazines I enjoy reading is Taste of Home. My mother started giving me a subscription to this magazine many years ago. It has down-to-earth recipes that are easy to make. The majority of ingredients for the recipes I generally have on hand.

One of the pins I saw recently was for an Apple Granola Dessert. The recipe used ingredients that were already in my cupboards and refrigerator.

Apple Granola Dessert that I made.


It is very simple to assemble in the slow cooker. The recipe doesn't call for much liquid which was something I questioned when I initially started making the recipe. The other thing was the long time period for cooking it - up to 8 hours.

Thankfully, I tried this recipe when I was home all day. It took only about 4 hours on low until the apples were soft. In fact, around the edges some of the apples were getting to be rather "toasty" and a bit too dark. Had it cooked for 4 more hours...I would have had a burnt mess on my hands.

The flavor is not overly sweet since only honey is used - not granulated and/or brown sugars. Since I'm used to having a more sweet dessert, it tasted somewhat bland. More honey or sugar could be added, if desired.

Also, this is not a apple crisp that is made in the oven with a crispy crust on top. The granola is mixed with the apples and softens - so it is a different texture than I anticipated.

With those things being said, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (I used Granny Smith apples)
2 cups granola cereal with fruit and nuts
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Whipped topping, optional

Directions:

In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine apples and cereal. In a small bowl, combine the honey, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg; pour over apple mixture and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.



Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 each) equals 372 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.



No comments: