The balance of the squares (23) were fabric from what I had on hand. Many of the pieces of fabric were from items that held another purpose at a different time (e.g., bed sheet, pillowcase, clothing).
My goal with the quilt was to create something functional from only items that I had on hand. I wasn't trying for that "perfect" quilt...I was looking for something useful and that would provide warmth on cold, winter days and nights.
Today I worked on the final steps of the quilt. First, I ironed all the pieces that were for the backing. I sewed the pieces together to create a backing and ironed it again.
Three layers: top of quilt with right side facing down;
back of quilt with right side facing up; and
batting under it all.
Next, I placed the batting on the floor. On top of that, I placed the backing with the right side facing up. Then, I placed the top of the quilt with the right side facing down. Once these three layers were smoothed out, I pinned them in place.
Three layers pinned and ready to be trimmed.
There was surplus fabric and batting on all sides once the quilt was pinned, so I trimmed the edges so all matched.
The trimmed quilt ready to be sewn.
One I was done sewing, I put my hand into the quilt and pulled it out through the opening. In this way, the quilt's right sides were now on the outside and the batting was in the center.
I hand-sewed the opening closed; and then ironed around all the edges of the quilt so they would lay flat.
Then, I used a tapestry needle and yarn to make yarn ties where each of the squares met one another.
The girls couldn't wait to see
what the quilt felt like once it was done.
Although I didn't finish the quilt during Art Every Day Month last month, I am happy that it is done by the first check-in of Creative Every Day.