Last year, Sophia, Olivia, and I did a 52 Weeks of Giving challenge as part of homeschooling. I wanted to think of something new for us to do together this year that would continue with making a difference in the lives of others (people or animals) or for the environment.
This year, December 12, 2012, has a numerical significance with three twelves repeating themselves: 12-12-12. Because of special date, we will do things each month - from January to December 12th that involve the number 12. We're naming it "12 in 12."
Each month we will:
- Take 1 bag of food to the food shelf.
- Volunteer 1 hour at a community organization that is chosen each month (can be the same one or different one).
- Donate 1 bag of clothing to a second-hand shop.
- Donate 1 bag of toys and other non-clothing items to a second-hand shop.
- Donate 12 books that we no longer read to organizations needing books.
- Donate $12 to an organization that helps individuals, animals, or the environment.
- Write 1 letter to someone who has made a difference in our lives.
- Donate 1 bag of pop cans to places that collect them to raise funds (e.g., Northwoods, local Lions Club).
- Donate 12 bags of Purina Kitten Chow (dry) to Northwoods Humane Society (where Gretel was adopted).
- Spend 1 hour outdoors doing projects that help wildlife.
- Make and randomly drop off 1 toy for a child to find as part of The Toy Society.
- Share 1 time the gift of music (piano and/or harp) or singing with others.
By December 12, we will have donated:
- 12 bags of food
- 36 hours of time (12 per person) to one or more community organizations
- 12 bags of clothing to a second-hand shop.
- 12 bags of toys and other non-clothing items to a second-hand shop.
- 144 books that we no longer read to organizations needing books.
- $144 to organizations that helps individuals, animals, or the environment.
- 12 letters to people who have made a difference in our lives.
- 12 bags of pop cans to help various non-profit organizations.
- 12 bags of Purina Kitten Chow (dry) to Northwoods
- 12 hours doing outdoor projects that help wildlife.
- 12 handmade toys to children in different parts of the community.
- 12 performances of harp, piano, or voice (as part of a choir) in front of audiences at various organizations.
Are you doing anything special to celebrate 12-12-12 this year?