Monday, December 27, 2021

Happiness Scavenger Hunt #2

Earlier in December, I did the Happiness Scavenger Hunt #1 on Swap-Bot. This is the second Scavenger Hunt in a series of three.

The goal is to photograph something that fits each of these six categories. Something that: 

You are thankful for - rain and snow. After a drought this summer and seeing the impact on the grass, flowers, shrubs, and trees, any type of moisture we get I'm thankful for. 

On December 3rd, there was rain and snow...kind of a sloppy mixture. There wasn't a lot, but there was enough for the ground to be wet and raindrops to cover leaves and drip off of tree branches.

I'm hoping that the plants and grass make it through the winter with whatever rain and snow falls.

Makes you laugh out loud 

For the past few years, we have tried to take a photo with the dogs and girls by the tree. When we had two dogs, things were a bit easier. With four dogs, it has become more challenging.

We all end up laughing as the dogs try to find a spot to sit and girls try to get them to face forward. The only one cooperating right away was Scooby. I think he just wanted to get the photo done.


After a good 20 pictures, we finally had one that turned out good enough. The girls and dogs all are facing forward, and the girls both are smiling. 

You use all the time

I use my sewing machine quite often. It's my favorite sewing machine even though it is very basic. I've had it since I lived in Charlotte, North Carolina, in the late 1980s.

Olivia is using to make a bag that she started on Christmas and finished on the 26th. 

Reminds you of a happy memory

On Christmas Eve, I made a maple twist coffeecake. This is a recipe that was from family friends of my parents and then one that my mom made around the holidays. They made the maple twist coffeecake on a traditional-size pizza pan. The one we had is much larger, so I made a double recipe. It took 4 hours to make - from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. The center coveted piece was large enough that there were 4 pieces...instead of the single one that a single batch makes. It reminds me of Christmas Eve growing up when my mom used to make this recipe.

For Christmas, we quarantined again this year. This time, however, it is because Sophia is leaving for a semester to study abroad in Thailand. She needs a negative COVID test before she leaves on January 4th. So, we are not taking any chances with the omicron variant. If she tests positive, then she cannot do the program. She would be devastated. 

Anyway, for Christmas, we had a simple meal - ham, baked potatoes, cornbread, Brussel sprouts, dressing, and fresh fruit. The tablecloth belonged to my parents, and the Advent wreath reminds of the one that they used to light each year (except the candles were purple and pink).

My mom always made a nice dinner for Christmas. However, she didn't make so much that we had a ton leftover (like I do for Thanksgiving). I put cloves in the ham like she did and also wrapped the baked potatoes in foil like she did.

After dinner, we went on a drive to Minneapolis (the Kenwood area) and wound our way to Edina. There were so many decorated and lit-up buildings and homes. This church - across from the Walker Art Center - was lit up. It reminded me of going to church when I was growing up - either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. 

Makes you feel safe

Fencing around our backyard makes me feel safe. On December 26th, two coyotes came through the west pasture, walked towards the barn, and stopped a couple of feet from the backyard by both cattle gates. The fence, though it may not seem strong, was enough to keep the coyotes out of the backyard. 

They both heard Cooper and Aspen (our two largest dogs) barking, which made them turn around and head back into the pasture. So, my dogs - all four of them - make me feel safe too. 

Sounds beautiful - On December 4th, we went to hear the Festival of Christmas at Bethel University. Sophia is in the handbell choir and it sounded so beautiful.


They played quite a few songs for about 30 minutes before the performance. 

The 90-minute Festival of Christmas was spectacular! There were three choirs, the handbell ensemble, the wind symphony, and the chamber orchestra. In total, there were over 220 student performers and musicians. 



2 comments:

Rita said...

So many great memories!! Happy new year! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

your coffee cake looks yummy! Sure hope your daughter gets to go to Thailand!