Monday, September 6, 2021

My Favorite Photos - August 2021

 Below are some of my favorite photos from August. First, Olivia finished one of the barn quilts that she commissioned to do. The "F" is for the clients' last name.


Sophia moved back to college. As a junior now, she has made some good friends at college and I love seeing how happy and settled she is on campus.


At the Carver County Fair, I had a chance to feed two parakeets that sat on my hand.


Olivia finished a barn quilt for another client.


My sister and I went to Owatonna, Minnesota, and saw this mural on the ceiling and upper walls of the Owatonna Arts Center. There was so much to see - lots of details - in the mural.


Connected to the arts center is a museum at the location where the state's orphanage was located. It was actually a rather sad and sobering place to visit. However, the stained glass windows in one section were beautiful.


Also at the orphanage museum were the old light fixtures. 


In one of the cottages that held the boys, there was a row of sinks. 


There was also an old movie projector.


At the Owatonna airport, there is a statue of three Air Force jets. 


Returning back home, we stopped in Faribault. There's a beautiful mural on the side of a building. I really like the bright colors, the different skin tones of the hands, and that the Braille letters are below the four letters that spell love


My sister was a good sport and sat in one of the Tilt-a-Whirls on the main street. They don't move. She's just leaning to one side. 


My sister and I also went to the Steele County Fair that is about two hours from where I live. It was really fun to see a county fair that I had not been to. At one time, the Minnesota State Fair was located at the Steele County Fairgrounds.


At one of our Lions club meetings, I arranged for the local sheriff and K9 unit to come to our meeting. Here, they are showing an example of how obedient and focused K9 Viking is when he is working.


Then there's time for play. The reward is a yellow ball. The officer swung K9 Viking in the air which he likes. This also shows how powerful of a grip the dog has on an object.


I went to the State Fair on August 30th this year with Olivia who was competing in 4-H. While she was being judged, I went to the Ag-Hort building. The floral kaleidoscope was there again this year. This is one of the images I took through the viewfinder. 


This is what the floral kaleidoscope looks like. You spin it around and then look through one of three viewfinders.


Olivia won a blue ribbon on her Diamond Dotz picture. It's an image from Harry Potter. 


Olivia and I went to the Fine Arts building at the State Fair. There are so many interesting pieces to look at. This is a collage piece.


This is a needle-felted moose. It was about 2 1/2' x 3 1/2'...quite big and an ambitious project. 


It was 3-dimensional and the head and antlers stood out from the foam background quite a bit. There were even eyelashes on the moose!


August was a month filled with day trips, art, history, and transitions back to school and Fall. 

2 comments:

Rita said...

Wow! Lots...and all good! :)

DVArtist said...

Wonderful photos indeed.