Monday, April 27, 2020

Chinese Chicken Salad

This recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad, which serves six people, appeared on my Facebook feed. It leads to The Read Food Dieticians. I had the majority of items on hand and modified the recipe slightly.

It is a colorful, fresh salad packed with flavor and texture. This is a recipe that I would definitely make again!


Ingredients

For the Salad
•3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage (may substitute green cabbage)* - I used 2 cups coleslaw mix
•1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage* - I used 2 cups red cabbage
•1 cup shredded carrots (pre-shredded works, too) - I used 2 cups pre-shredded carrots
•1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly sliced - I used 2 cups sliced snow peas
•1 cup fresh cilantro, leaves separated from stems and roughly chopped - I didn't have this on hand, but would use it next time
•3 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced - - I used 6 green onions and about 1/4 cup finely-diced yellow onion
•1 cup oranges (peeled and cut into chunks or a 12-15 oz. can mandarin oranges in 100% juice, drained well) - I used canned mandarin oranges
•⅓ cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted - I didn't both toasting the almonds
•3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
Optional: Black and/or white sesame seeds for garnish - I used white sesame seeds

*May substitute one 12-ounce bag of bagged coleslaw mix for cabbage and add an additional ½ cup carrots or snow peas if desired.

For the Dressing
Note: I did 1 1/2 batches of the dressing since there were additional ingredients in the salad
•3 Tbsp. coconut aminos - I used soy sauce
•2 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil - I used olive oil
•3 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
•4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
•½ tsp. ground ginger
•¼ tsp. garlic powder

Directions

Combine cabbage, carrots, sugar snap peas, onions, and cooked chicken in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.

In a small bowl (or jar) combine dressing ingredients. Whisk or shake well to combine.

Pour over salad just before serving.

Gently stir in oranges, cilantro, and almonds.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy. (As a side note, the salad is in a bowl that I made in my pottery class. This is one of my favorite glaze colors.)


No comments: