Friday, February 3, 2017

Double Identity - Book Review

This year one of my goals is to read at least ten books. In the past, I've done the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge. I know that won't be able to reach that goal this year, so I'm trying for at least a modest number of books this year that are on my "Want to Read" list.

One of the books on the list was Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I'm not sure how I found out about this book since it was from the juvenile fiction section - perhaps it was reviewed by someone else doing the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge.


At any rate, it's a 218-page book that had me engaged from the very first page to the last one. The main character, Bethany, is dropped off at her unknown aunt's home by her parents who have been acting oddly. Her mother has been crying incessantly and her father is overly-protective and won't let Bethany out of his sight. They give her no explanation for why or how long she will be staying with an aunt who they never told her about.

Once she is at her aunt's home, the story about who she is, why she has four birth certificates with different names, and why her father's cell phone is disconnected with no other way to contact him or her mother) starts to be pieced together.

Like an onion, the layers are slowly removed to reveal to Bethany - as well as her aunt and niece - who she truly is and why her family has moved multiple names, has had aliases, why her father changed careers, and why her parents left her thousands of dollars in cash.

I read Double Identity in a few days...determined to discover what new information and explanations would be presented to Bethany. It was worth reading and I'd definitely recommend it to others who want to tackle a quick-read mystery-thriller.

No comments: