Monday, May 12, 2014

Freezer Organization

During March and April, I did the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge. Because there was still work left that I wanted to do, I have been doing 35 Bags in 35 Days that covers the time period from Easter to Memorial Day.

One of the projects I wanted to work on was organizing my refrigerator and freezers. So, I looked on Pinterest for some ideas about how to create a more orderly system in a freezer. I found a pin that lead to iheart organizing about doing just that.

My freezer after I was done cleaning and organizing it.

On Saturday, I unplugged the freezer and then quickly unloaded everything from it.

This is what the freezer looked like before I began 
the cleaning and organizing process.

 I threw away anything that had been in the freezer too long and/or that had freezer burn.

I got rid of one bag of food that was either freezer burned or
things we would no longer eat.

Next, I began to chop away at the ice and frost, and took baking pan after baking pan filled with ice chips to the sink. (By the time I was done, the entire sink was full of ice.)

Then I used a hair dryer on high/hot air to help remove the rest of the ice while I chopped away at it. Once that step was done, I used a lavender essential oil spray and wiped down all the shelves and walls.

The freezer cleaned out and ready to be re-loaded with food.

Next, I filled several bins with like-items. For example, crushed bananas (for banana bread) was put in one bin. Different types of peppers and vegetables went in another. Applesauce went in another.

This is so helpful as I go into the summer season when produce is more readily available and less expensive. I know what I have on hand and what I need to freeze for the upcoming year. This will ensure that we are eating healthier; have organic food at a fraction of the cost on hand; and help us eat locally throughout the year.

Top shelf: fruit; second shelf: crushed bananas (for banana bread), 
different types of peppers, and vegetables; 
third shelf: homemade chicken broth, ready-to-eat meals, and applesauce; and 
bottom shelf: ice packs and Amish friendship bread starter.

I am so happy with this new system! This should have been done a long time ago. It sure would have made things much easier.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Wow! Looks great! I know how much work that is to defrost. :)