Sunday, November 13, 2011

30 Days of Giving Thanks - Day 13 - Tom and Susan

For the 13th day of the 30 Days of Giving Thanks challenge, I thanked my cousin (Tom) and his wife (Susan). They have been very supportive over the years, and especially since my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease.

During the past month, when my dad was admitted to a hospital for an 11-day stay and his medication was being adjusted what seemed like daily, both Susan and Tom listened and supported me through some new territory with this disease.

When my sister's husband, Ken, died unexpectedly in 2003 at age 38 in 2003, my sister asked me to give a eulogy. I wrote one, practiced it at home, and felt like I was ready to read it even though public speaking was not my strength.

However, once at the funeral I realized that emotionally it may be more difficult than anticipated. I asked Susan if she would be a back-up for me if I got up on the altar and couldn't read the eulogy.

She agreed...thankfully...because, sure enough, I made it though the first line before needing Susan to read the rest. I was so thankful to have her so eloquently deliver thoughts that I had written and wanted to express, but couldn't.

Recently, at one of their children's wedding in August, I accompanied my dad and mom. It was a beautiful wedding, and Susan went out of her way to make sure the table we were seated at accomodated both my parents' needs.

The wedding was the last public event that my dad attended where he was dressed up in a suit. My godmother's husband (Rich) took this picture that evening:

My mom and I are holding my Dad's hands down
because he was waving them around.
I'm so thankful to have this picture
of us three from the wedding.

For these reasons and so many more, I sent Tom and Susan a thank you letter and picture in the mail. I hope by reading it they know how truly important they are in our family's life.

No comments: