Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Giant Window Star

Every July and August, it is county fair time. Whether it is 4-H projects or open class projects, the girls and I have been competing in two local fairs now since Sophia was six years old - so 2007. 

For the past few years, I have chosen a complex window star from one of the pattern books I used to use when I sold window stars on Etsy. I haven't sold anything on Etsy since I was in a car accident several years ago and had serious neck and upper-shoulder issues which resulted in surgery.

At any rate, I looked at Pinterest to get some ideas for another window star pattern. I came across this pin which led to Conscious Craft

Window star I made. 
It took 512 folds to make this star!

There are quite a few window stars that are unique and beautiful on that website. The one that caught my eye is made up of 8 stars of varying sizes: 3 stars in the smallest size, 3 stars in the medium size, and 3 stars in the largest size. 

Each point of the stars uses the same pattern that has 8 folds. 

With 8 points (per star) multiplied by 8 folds per point multiplied by the number of stars in each grouping (see table below), it took a total of 512 folds to make this star. 

Paper Size      Number of Stars        8 Points x 8 Folds x The Number of Stars 

0.75”x1.5”                 3                                                192 

1.5”x3”                      3                                                192 

3”x6”                         2                                                128 

                                                                      Total folds: 512 

The smallest paper size is very challenging to fold. I have never folded anything that small - much less eight times. Needless to say, I was relieved when those 24 points were done. The medium paper size is easier to work with, yet still smaller than that with which I normally fold. The larger paper size is very easy to fold. 

To best see the folds and pattern of this star, hold it up towards the light.


1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is beautiful! You are very talented!