Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Priority List - Book Review/Notes

Somehow I came across The Priority List - A Teacher's Final Quest to Discover Life's Greatest Lessons by David Menasche. The book is a English teacher's story about his battle with brain cancer that ultimately stole his vision, memory, mobility, and ability to teach in a classroom.


He decided after six years to end his treatments and make life his classroom. He turned to Facebook with a plan to journey across the United States by bus and train using his red-tipped cane to guide him throughout various cities and experiences.

His goal was to learn firsthand how his students - now adults - were faring in life. He wanted to know if he had made a difference.

Within 48 hours of posting his goal on Facebook, former students in more than 50 cities replied with offers of support and shelter. The Priority List chronicles some of the visits and the author's reflections.

Although I enjoyed the book, it took a while to get into the main focus of the story. I would have enjoyed reading more of the letters from the students which were written after they graduated and knew about Menasche's health struggles.

Some of the parts of the book I found interesting include:

- I had high expectations for my kids, but no higher than the expectations I had for myself.
- "The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." (George Bernard Shaw)
- A priority list is a list of things or people that are important to you.
"They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don't think it's possible for you to miss me as much as I'm missing you right now." (Edna St. Vincent Millay)
- When you really know you're going to die, when you're prepared for death, that's when you learn how to live. It's a bittersweet lesson. Just when you learn how to live, you die. But there's so much beauty in it. All of a sudden, the sun in the sky is a reason to rejoice, flowers come alive, a gentle breeze on your face feels almost spiritual. Who you are is defined no longer by what you do but by what you give and how you love. To me, that felt like a good death.
- "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway to see it through no matter what." (To Kill a Mockingbird)
- It's the teacher's job to make the kids care enough to want to do well....I just put things out there and did my best to make it interesting enough that you wanted to learn more. A good teacher isn't about the content. It's far more important that you get the idea across - that you express it in such a way that it makes sense to your students.
- "The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that outlasts it." (William James, philosopher)
- Live a life of purpose and continue to pass on such inspiration to those who need it most.

He had recommended two books that he enjoyed growing up: On the Road and A Confederacy of Dunces.


Menasche included the Priority List in his book (which is noted below). I've included it as a reference.

Acceptance
Adventure
Artistic Expression
Career
Education
Family
Friendship
Fun
Health
Honor
Independence
Love
Marriage
Possessions
Power
Privacy
Respect
Security
Sex
Shelter
Spirituality
Style
Technology
Travel
Victory
Wealth

He would have his class rank the words. Think about how you rate the words as an adult and how you would have rated these items while in high school.

Are you living in a way that reflects your priorities? If not, where can you make changes?

1 comment:

Rita said...

Sounds like a good book. Makes you think about how my priorities have changed over the years. The only big one that changed for me was wanting to find my soulmate--the love and marriage forever thing. Other than that, my priorities haven't changed much. Learning to be the best person I can manage to be has always been on the top. I have always been on my own personal spiritual path for as long as I can remember. Apparently from the time I could talk I was comfortable talking to anyone, any age--and would say things odd for a child...enough that the neighbor ladies thought I was "born old" and my mom started to think I might be a reincarnated guru--which I find hysterically funny! You'd think life would have been much easier then--LOL! Life is certainly an adventure, though! :)