Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Composer Study - Igor Stravinsky

Igor Stravinsky was a Russian (and later, a naturalized French and American) composer, pianist, and conductor. He is considered one of the most important and influential composers of the 20th century.


According to Wikipedia, "Stravinsky's compositional career was notable for its stylistic diversity. He first achieved international fame with three ballets commissioned by the impresario Sergei Diaghilev and first performed in Paris by Diaghilev's Ballets Russes: The Firebird (1910), Petrushka (1911) and The Rite of Spring (1913).

"The last of these transformed the way in which subsequent composers thought about rhythmic structure and was largely responsible for Stravinsky's enduring reputation as a musical revolutionary who pushed the boundaries of musical design."

As part of Sophia's and Olivia's homeschooling, I have them listen to six pieces written by different composers. The goal is to expose them to a wide variety of music and see what comes to their minds as they listen to it. It's interesting, to me, to see what memories and connections that music can make. Sometimes the things that are triggered by music are things I wouldn't have even thought of...yet, that's one of the powers of music: to awaken memories that have long-since been forgotten.

The Rite of Spring - Introduction (4:23)
From: The Rite of Spring
By: The Bad Plus

Sophia thought:
=> The notes go together...but at the same time they didn't. It's an interesting combination of notes.
=> It's different from other things we've heard. We've heard music from some composers who wrote music a long time ago. This definitely sounds a lot more modern.
=> It's okay...I wouldn't choose to listen to this normally.

Olivia thought:
=> The notes sounded like they were supposed to go together, but they were very different from one another.
=> It sounds like something you would hear in a mystery or horror movie.
=> It's good, but I wouldn't listen to this often.

************

Sonata for Two Pianos - Moderto (4:10)
From: Stravinsky - Music for Two Pianos 
By: Benjamin Frith and Peter Hill

Sophia thought:
=> It sounds like something from the Nutcracker. (Later on:) Well...not really.
=> I don't really like it. It's too inconsistent. I like the first song

Olivia thought:
=> This is something you would hear during a ballet.
=> It reminds me of someone dancing.
=> I like it. It sounds better than the first song.

************

The Firebird Suite - The Firebird and Her Dance (4:34)
From: Stravinsky
By: Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra

Sophia thought:
=> (At the beginning when it was quiet:) Sounds like it's thinking about starting.
=> Sounds like a ballet when they are creeping around.
=> Sounds kind of "starry" - like twinkling music.
=> I like some parts of this better.
=> I like the flute.

Olivia thought:
=> It starts out pretty quiet.
=> It sounds like the Nutcracker when the rats show up.
=> It sounds like music from a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Like Tom getting stuck in something or getting hit on the head.
=> I like this song.

************

The Song of the Nightingale  - Chinese March (4:48)
From: Stravinsky
By: Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra

Sophia thought:
=> I like this one. I like the high parts.
=> This is my favorite one so far.
=> In some ways and in some parts it sounded Chinese. Other parts didn't.

Olivia thought:
=> I like it too because it's fast.
=> I liked the Firebird song more, though.
=> I guess it kind of sounds like a Chinese march.
=> It's good - it sounded different than the music by this composer.

************

Praeludium for Jazz Ensemble (1:47)
From: Igor Stravinsky
By: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Sophia thought:
=> I like the beginning better than this part (up to 1:22). It sounded more like a fanfare.
=> The rest of the song didn't sound extraordinarily special.

Olivia thought:
=> This part (the beginning to :28) reminds me of the box where you wind something and the jack comes out.
=> I kind of like the beginning because someone someone was lighting a firecracker and they were throwing it back and forth.
=> It was okay.

************

Tango (3:27)
From: Igor Stravinsky
By: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
Sophia thought:
=> It doesn't sound like a tango.
=> It sounds like something you would hear in a Nancy Drew movie.
=> This reminds me of a mix of an older one - but it also has qualities of a newer song. It sounds like what you'd hear in old movies, but more modern.

Olivia thought:
=> Sounds like someone is trying to sneak around, but is failing really badly.
=> I like this part more (around 1:25-1:49) because it is less loud.
=> I don't think I would listen to this music normally.
=> The ending (after 3:00) sounds just like the beginning.

No comments: