Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Countdown to Halloween - Day 3 - Spider Theme

For the third day of the Countdown to Halloween, I made the Spiderweb Nacho Spread. I saw the idea on this pin on Pinterest which led to Woman's Day.

Although there are many layers of the spread, it didn't take that long to prepare the meal. Rather than an appetizer, we used this as our main meal.


Bean Layer:
2 can lowfat refried black or pinto beans (I used refried pinto beans)
¼ c. chopped cilantro (I didn't use this because the store didn't have any fresh cilantro)
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. hot Mexican chili powder (I didn't use it)
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 large plum tomatoes (2 tomatoes was plenty)

** Note: I added a taco meat layer here with 1 pound of hamburger, 3/4 cup water, and the taco seasoning mix that comes in a package.

Middle Layer:
1½ c. thick and chunky salsa
1 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend

Guacamole Layer (I only made a half a batch of the guacamole layer):
4 ripe Hass avocados
3 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. minced red onion (I used yellow onions)
2 large jalapeno chiles (I didn't use these)
1 tsp. salt

Web:
1 c. reduced-fat sour cream (I used no-fat sour cream)

Decoration: 
A clean plastic toy spider (I didn't do this)

Serve with: 
Blue, yellow, red corn tortilla chips (I used just regular round corn tortilla chips)

Notice Aspen is trying to edge her way 
closer to the table to get a treat.


DIRECTIONS

Make Bean Layer: Scrape the mixture onto a 12- to 14-in. round serving plate and smooth into a 10-in. circle with a spatula. Arrange tomato slices around edge of bean layer to make a border.

Make Taco Meat Layer: Follow directions on taco seasoning package.

Make Middle Layer: Drain salsa in a strainer to get rid of excess juice. Spread over bean mixture, leaving some of the bean layer showing around the edge. Sprinkle cheese over salsa, leaving some of the salsa layer showing.

Make Guacamole Layer: Halve avocados; remove seeds and spoon flesh into a medium bowl. Add lime juice, onion, jalapeños and salt, and mash until fairly smooth. Spoon over cheese layer and spread into an even layer.

Make Web: Place sour cream in a ziptop bag; seal bag and snip a small tip off one corner. Pipe a spiderweb design over guacamole and onto the plate. Decorate with toy spider. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: