Thursday, June 27, 2013

Composer Study - Frederic Chopin

Sophia and Olivia studied about and listened to a variety of songs composed by Frederic Chopin. Their reactions to the pieces they heard are noted below.


They read the book Frederick Chopin by Mike Venezia as a way to learn more about the composer.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 2 in F Minor, op. 21
(from Lang Lang: Chopin - The Piano Concertos with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and Zubin Mehta)

Sophia thought: I liked both the loud and soft parts. I would have liked it to be a little bit longer. I liked the orchestra - especially the violins.

Olivia thought: It was good, but it was long. I liked the violins. They stood out because there were many of them and they sounded high. I listened to it, but it didn't give me any feelings.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 1 in E Minor, op. 11
(from Lang Lang: Chopin - The Piano Concertos with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and Zubin Mehta)

Sophia thought: I liked the first one better. The piano music sounds angry in parts. He plays the piano a lot better than me.

Olivia thought: This one sounds much louder than the first one. Part of the piano music sounds like the person is sad. He's playing the piano really fast.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Piano Sonata no. 2 in B Flat Minor
(from Sonatas and Etudes by Yuja Wang)

Sophia thought: I like it, but it's a little too fast. I prefer something a little slower. I still think I like the first one the best. In some parts it's forte and other parts piano. He has a lot of variety, but does repeat some things.

Olivia thought: It sounds spooky in the beginning. One part sounds like the Charlie Brown song...and I don't like Charlie Brown. It sounds like he is repeating things.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

3 Nocturnes op. 9
(from Chopin Nocturnes by Maurizio Pollini)

Sophia thought: It sounds like it is supposed to be dreamy. It would be something I'd like to listen to if I were on a date. It's sweet. The music makes me tired. It's shorter than other pieces we've listened to.

Olivia thought: It doesn't really feel like night time. It kind of makes me tired...it's quieter and calming. It's definitely shorter. I like that better.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

3 Nocturnes op. 15
(from Chopin Nocturnes by Maurizio Pollini)

Sophia thought: I like this one a little better. It's not quite as fast. I like the parts that are quieter.

Olivia thought: This is definitely more subtle. It feels like if you are at home and you are alone. This nocturne is slower than the other one. I like this one better.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 1 in E Flat Major, S. 124
(from Chopin Liszt - Piano Concerto No. 1 with Yundi Li, the Philharmonia Orchestra, and Andrew Davis)

Sophia thought: I prefer not to listen to trills - so the parts that don't have them I like better. About 2:45 in, it sounds like the aftermath of a fight. This isn't my favorite one, there's too much sound.

Olivia thought: This one sounds like of scary and violent in the beginning. About 2:45 in, it sounds like they are tending to the wounded. At 3:20, they're starting to fight again...or someone is really angry.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments: