Concurrently with this challenge, I'm doing the 52 Weeks to an Organized Home challenge. Both dovetail nicely with each other because I am working through the house and have set areas to tackle. I also set some decluttering goals as part of the UFO Challenge. So, many different ways to simplify my life.
This past week, the focus has been on several areas:
- laundry "room" (actually just a space for the washer and dryer that is in the kitchen) and laundry
Laundry space before and after.
- blue bedroom - originally it was just to go through the toys in the play kitchen, the dollhouse, and costumes in the closet. Ended up doing this plus cleaning the bookshelves, desk, and tortilla table.
Blue bedroom (above) after removing bags of items to
donate, put in the trash, or recycle (below)
- refrigerator. Threw out anything that was no longer good, we weren't going to eat, or had expired.
- bookshelves in the master bedroom. These hold personal reading books as well as homeschool books and resources.
Above: One of the shelves that holds
some of the homeschool and 4-H resources.
Below: After removing items we don't need.
For Days 1-5, I concentrated on the first three tasks. The result was:
- 5 bags of trash
- 8 bags of recycling
- 7 bags of items to donate
In all, there were 20 bags!
20 bags out of the house!
I have to take a break until the 8th since our garbage and recycling bins are both full.
I'm looking forward to continuing with the challenge and even further reducing the amount of items in our home.