Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer of Color - Week 4

For the third week of Summer of Color, I made a trio of window stars as I've been doing for each of the weeks of the challenge.



The color inspiration this week was Strawberry Lemonade Punch. Before creating the stars, I did the Chip It! program through Sherwin Williams to come up up with the colors of the featured ice cream.


Then, based on the paint chips shown above, I chose the closest colors of paper I use for the window stars. I picked gold, yellow, lime green, and pink paper. 

The first star I made is a ten-pointed one that features gold and yellow paper:


Then I made an eight-pointed window star that included all four colors:


I also did a star with six points and three of the colors (yellow, lime green, and pink):


In terms of complexity, these were all very easy stars to make. The first star had only 8 folds per point (80 folds total). The second star had 6 folds per point (48 folds). The last star had 12 folds per point (36 folds).

So now I have 12 stars that I've made for the Summer of Color - each with different color combinations and patterns. Since there's only a couple of weeks left, I'll continue making stars. It's challenging me to create some new variations of stars in colors I normally wouldn't combine.

Last year, I felt like I did a wider variety of projects beyond window stars - including quilting, sewing, and embroidery. Although I'd like to do different projects, I think limiting myself on one thing is helping me to stay focused and have a theme with this year's Summer of Color.

Do you have a favorite pattern or color combination this week?

18 comments:

Rita said...

I don't really have a favorite, but I like the ones you picked. These are really pretty. :)

Diane said...

These are excellent!

Anonymous said...

the 8 point is my favourite shape and use of colour!

carol l mckenna said...

Very creative digital work ~~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

helena said...

I never knew there was such variety in paper folded stars - I love teh 1st one the most

Unknown said...

oh these are such pretty pieces......wonderful work!!!!

Diana Taylor said...

They are all delightful, but I think this time the 6 point is my favourite - it looks like a real sparkly gem!

Carolyn Dube said...

You make it sound so simple until I read 80 folds. Wow- that is not so simple to me- especially for such crisp folds with sharp points!

K J D said...

I love these every week... the middle one is my fave this time :)

Karenx

Caz said...

Ah looking good as usual :-)

Mandy said...

Yjese are so very pretty...xxx

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Wow! Stars! I love these!!!

Giggles said...

These are so pretty! Who wouldn't love them!!

Hugs Giggles

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

This is marvelous work. Like it so much. Very special.
Lovely greet
marja
(marjascreativity)

Shahrul Niza said...

Beautiful & magical. Looking forward to what stars you'd be making next :).

Netty said...

Stunning colors. Happy Summer of Color, Annette x

Ritu Dua said...

They look amazing...bright and cheerful!

Joanna said...

These are beautiful, the last one looks just like a crystal!