First, I made two red window stars. They are made from translucent paper that lets the light shine through so the pattern of the star is revealed.
Two red origami window stars.
The 8-pointed star with the sharp points is folded 9 times per point. With eight points, it is folded 72 times before it is glued together.
The other star I made is folded 19 times per point. With 8 points, it is folded 152 times before being glued together.
I also made two quilt squares this week. There are twelve squares now...the quilt is coming along.
Two red quilt squares. Seven different fabrics are used for each square
to represent seven days in the week.
As I mentioned last week, I'm using only fabric that I have on hand for the quilt. I'm not purchasing anything new. It's definitely one of the most resouceful, "make do" quilts I've made. Only four more weeks left - or eight quilt squares - before I'm able to start arranging them and laying out the quilt top.
Although the red isn't as vivid on this little bird as it is on adult robins, it fits the challenge of incorporating something winged into your work (in this case, a quick photo).
I was walking to the garden on Friday afternoon, and a ball of feathers moved on the ground. A baby robin had fallen from its nest.
Baby robin on the ground.
It was quiet for a while, but very curious and eager to be fed.
When I moved the camera a bit closer,
it opened its mouth slowly to be fed.
After a call to the wildlife rehabilitation center, they said that it would be fine to pick up the bird and put it back in the nest if it had not already flown back up to the nest. Birds have a very weak sense of smell, so there's not a problem with the mother rejecting the baby.
By the time I went back outside, the baby bird had flown back into the nest. I felt so lucky to have been able to see the young bird at this stage of its life. Normally, the robin nests are so high and well-protected that the young ones are not visible until they are fully-grown.