I don't buy lottery tickets because I think - with odds that poor - that it isn't worth the money spent. I would rather spend the money on something more meaningful.
The three grand essentials of happiness are:
Something to do,
Someone to love, and
Something to hope for.
~ Alexander Chalmers ~
- Pay off all debt so a 100% cash-only way of life could be lived.
- Set up an emergency fund so six months to one year of living expenses could be paid.
- Put money in the retirement fund.
- Put money into college funds for Sophia and Olivia.
- Invest in long-term care insurance.
- Give a percentage of the money to help those in need, animals, and the environment.
If there's any money leftover, I would like to:
- Purchase some items that should be replaced (e.g., washer/dryer, car, carpet) and some items that would be nice to have (e.g., a few new clothes, shoes, boots, and coat for each person in the family).
- Travel to each state in the United States.
- See the continents that I haven't yet been to (Africa and Antarctica).
- Make updates and repairs to the home and barn that need to be done.
I'm sure that I could come up with lots of things that I would want. I could dream of all the wonderful things that I would love to have. However, the reality is that what is important is being happy and grateful with my life at the present moment.
Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.
~ Lao Tzu ~