Wednesday, November 3, 2010
This is one of the recipes that I'm including in the 52 Weeks of Baking Cooking cookbook I'm making for Sophia and Olivia.
Have been baking one more more recipes per week since April. I write the recipe, modifications I made, and feedback about the recipe from those who tried it along with a picture of the item and lessons learned during the week (as they relate to cooking/making the food).
• 2/3 cup plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
• 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
• 1 cup water
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine
• 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup shortening
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts
• SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM (recipe follows)
1. Prepare PASTRY CRUST. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Stir together 2/3 cup sugar and cocoa in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; add butter and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, stirring until butter is melted. Set aside.
3. Stir together flour, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl; add shortening, milk and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Add egg; beat 2 minutes. Spoon batter into prepared crust. Stir chocolate mixture; gently pour over batter. Sprinkle nuts over top.
4. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool slightly; serve warm with SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM. 8 servings.
PASTRY CRUST (Note: this is the one in the Hershey's cookbook. I ended up using my Grandma's pie crust recipe)
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
3 tablespoons cold water
Stir together flour, salt and baking powder in medim bowl. Cut in shortening until pieces are size of small peas; sprinkle in water, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened. Roll dough into circle about 1/8 inch thick. Fit into 9-inch pie plate; flute edge.
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: Combine 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl; beat until stiff.