Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Wheatear Stitch - Week 17


This week for Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST), the featured stitch is the wheatear stitch. I had no idea this stitch even existed before this weekly challenge. It's an enjoyable one to do - it's two straight stitches followed by a chain stitch.


Depending on the size of the chain, this stitch can resemble wheat or a flower. During the past week, some of the TAST participants even did detached wheatear stitches and made them look like fish.

For mine, I did a simple design because I was learning the stitch. I traced the edge of an oval embroidery hoop in random patterns. I chose one color for each color of the rainbow.
After I was done with the sampler, I put it in my embroidery journal along with a journal entry; gratitude list; several images of tulips (which are now blooming); an picture of a black squirrel (which Olivia spotted during the past week); a quote about aging and life; and an image of three females with silver hearts (to represent Sophia, Olivia, and me).

2 comments:

Rita said...

A black squirrel in Minnesota!? Cool! I had only seen them in Canada many years ago.

This stitch reminds me of a centipede! ;)

Mandy Currie said...

I really enjoy following your embroidery journal project, things like that fascinate me and I love old letters, collections of old cards, etc. So inspirational, thank you. Regards Mandy Currie (mandycurrie@googlemail.com)