Monday, May 18, 2020

Asian-Style Spicy Coleslaw

On Mother's Day, I tried a new recipe Asian-Style Spicy Coleslaw, that I saw on Pinterest. It led to Food and Wine.


I had some cabbage that I wanted to use and had all but one of the ingredients on hand. That's the type of recipe I like - one where I have everything available and don't have to go out and get something special.

The recipe has a flavorful and spicy flavor which I enjoyed. I wasn't able to detect the Asian fish sauce in it, but Sophia could and said she didn't care for it. I think it could be eliminated since it isn't a critical ingredient.

I made half a recipe since I knew that only Sophia and I would eat it. So, I kept some of the dressing aside to add as we were eating it so the cabbage and other vegetables wouldn't soften.

I would make this recipe again - maybe next time without the fish sauce and see if that makes a difference in the taste.

Ingredients

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
2 pounds napa cabbage, thinly sliced (12 cups) (I didn't have this so used regular cabbage)
3/4 pounds red cabbage, thinly sliced (3 cups) (I didn't have this either so I used regular cabbage)
3 medium carrots, julienned
2 red peppers, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
15 mint leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

In a medium bowl, whisk the peanut butter with the lime juice, fish sauce, water, sugar, garlic and Sriracha. In a large bowl, toss the napa and red cabbages with the carrots, peppers, cilantro and mint. Toss the salad with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.

1 comment:

Rita said...

I've smelled the fish sauce before and wouldn't want to try to eat anything with it on--LOL! I wouldn't doubt I could taste it, too--LOL! Still--fun to try new recipes. :)