Saturday, February 22, 2020

Hawaiian Poke Bowl

After going to a restaurant and bubble tea bar in St. Paul a couple of times, I wanted to see if there were any recipes for a poke bowl that I could make at home since Sophia and I enjoyed them so much at the restaurant. This is what I was hoping to replicate at home:


I found a recipe for a Hawaiian Poke Bowl on a pin on Pinterest that led to Contentedness Cooking. This is a vegan and gluten-free recipe (if made according to the recipe). My modifications made it neither vegan or gluten-free since I used chicken and yum yum sauce.

As a side note, after I took the picture, I realized that it probably would be more visually-appealing to put the sauce in a squeeze bottle so it didn't come out in clumps.


Anyway, the recipe says that the prep and total time is 10 minutes. However, sushi rice takes longer than 10 minutes to prepare, so the recipe does take longer to make. I used the recipe below as a starting point and adapted it to what we had on hand. If made exactly as the recipe says below, four people could eat.

Ingredients

1 cup sushi rice, uncooked
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups white cabbage, shredded (I didn't use cabbage)
sriracha mayo (3/4 cup vegenaise, 1/4 cup sriracha) (I used yum yum sauce instead since that is what the restaurant used)
1 cup edamame (I didn't use edamame - never have cared for them)
salt, pepper to taste

Optional add ons:
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1 cup cucumber slices
4 tsp seaweed (dulse) flakes (I didn't use these)
1 small bunch scallions, chopped (I didn't use these, but would next time)
1 avocado, sliced into cubes (I didn't use this, but would next time)
1/4 cup sesame seeds (I didn't use these, but would next time)
1/3 cup chopped macadamias (I didn't use these, but would next time)
tamari to taste (I didn't use this)
2 tsp freshly grated ginger (I didn't use these, but would next time)

Instructions

Cook the Sushi rice according to the package directions.

Prepare veggies like white cabbage, edamame, and optional add ons (carrots, avocado cubes, cucumber slices, chopped macadamias, seaweed flakes, scallions).

For the cabbage: After mixing vegenaise and sriracha sauce, you can add the full amount to the shredded cabbage or reserve 1/4 for topping.

Next and last is assembling the Hawaiian poke bowl: start with rice, next is cabbage, veggies and your optional add ons.

No comments: