Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - May 24, 2017



1. What color is prominent in your home? Are you glad about that or wishing you could cover it up or remove it?

White is the prominent wall color. Some rooms have colors (like yellow for the family room and my office; blue for two bedrooms; and green and turquoise for another bedroom). Other than that: all white.

Dark green is the other prominent color in our home. I found out it is a dated color after we had water damage a few years ago and needed to replace carpet in the family room and my office. That particular color is very difficult to find now.

I like the color and wouldn't change it in several of the rooms.

The green  carpet is representative of the color of the blinds and
some accent paint in various rooms of the home.
(Taken on April 2, 2013.)

That being said, the majority of our windows are covered with dark green blinds. This definitely has limited what colors we could paint walls.

If I could do anything over, I would keep the blinds a neutral color so that we could paint the walls a different color. (Although, as I type this, perhaps moving to neutral-color blinds would be good so that we could change things up a bit.)

2. What's something you'll NEVER do again?

Have an extensive amount of livestock. We used to have sheep, chickens, turkeys, and a horse. I enjoyed that time in my life; and loved seeing the animals roaming in the pastures; and the chickens walking around the yard and pastures.

Olivia looking at chicks at another farm.
(Taken on September 30, 2007.)

Given the season of life I'm in now and the length of life some livestock have, it isn't practical. I'm grateful I had that time in my life where we could have animals; and that I have the memories of them to draw upon.

3. Tell us a couple of ways you fit the stereotypes associated with your gender, and a couple of ways you don't.

I'm a stay-at-home mom who takes her daughters to a variety of lessons and activities, enjoys crafting, sewing, and cooking. Adopting both the girls has been such a blessing. I truly cannot imagine my life without them. They have brought such joy to it; and enriched it in so many ways.

Taking the girls to various activities:
Above: Sophia recording a CD that has
music she plays on the harp (May 2017) and
Below: Olivia painting outdoors at an art event (September 2016).

When I think of my dad and his role in the family (as well as other males), there are some things that I do around the home and farm that would stereotypically fall into the male role (or at least what my dad would have done):
=> Mow the lawn on the lawn tractor as well as fill it with gas and can fix it if the mower deck comes unattached (it's an older mower);
=> Repair the fencing as needed;
=> Deal with all the service men/repair guys - both with ordering the services, overseeing their work, and paying them.

4. May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. Have you ever owned a motorcycle? Ever ridden a motorcycle? If the opportunity presented itself would you hop on a motorcycle and go for a ride?

I have never owned a motorcycle, but have ridden on one. My first ride was during Vacation Bible School. If any child memorized a Bible verse by the end of the week, they could go on a short motorcycle ride on the back of the Pastor's motorcycle.

I memorized John 3:16 and earned a motorcycle ride.


The short ride - without a helmet and not very fast around the parking lot - was exhilarating and exciting...and so worth the effort of memorization at that young age.

As a side note, this was in the 1970s, so way before organizations began thinking of potential lawsuits and liability issues. No one blinked an eye at the fact that none of the children wore helmets while on a motorcycle because no one was wearing helmets when riding a bike.

A motorcycle from 1974.

In the past 15 years, I've only gone on two motorcycle rides. If presented with an opportunity to go again, I definitely would!

5. If someone wanted to understand you, what should they read, watch, and listen to?

The best way to understand me would be to read about the personality type INFJ, the astrological sign of Cancer, and a book about introverts.


In terms of watching something, maybe a t.v. show that I enjoy: Modern Family, The Goldbergs, Speechless, or Black-ish.

In terms of listening, the sounds of nature - birds singing and calling to one another, frogs singing, owls hooting, crickets chirping - all of these sounds are ones I love to listen to throughout the year.

An oriole and cardinal in the backyard on August 23, 2012.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Four years ago today, this was the sunset as I stood in the pasture looking to the west.



When I was growing up, our home faced west over Bass Lake. We saw so many amazingly beautiful sunsets. I am so grateful that our home has open views to the west so that - since 1995 - we can enjoy seeing the gorgeous colors of the sky and clouds as the sun sets.

11 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I love it that your girls are involved in the fine arts. No helmets? I remember the days before seatbelts! I think one of my daughters is an INFJ. We all took those personality quizzes one year. I'm an ISTJ. But I hope you won't hold that against me. :-)

Mary said...

It is so cool that your daughter plays the harp! What a beautiful instrument!!!
That last picture is GORGEOUS!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Your girls are so lucky to have such a loving, caring Mom. I remember those days - tiring and yet worth every minute! I love The Goldbergs too! Have a wonderful week.

collettakay said...

I love being a stay-at-home-mom and driving my girls to their events! There's nothing I'd rather do :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Colletta

Nonnie said...

You truly are blessed to have those beautiful daughters and enjoy the time with them. I can see you invest your life in them which is a wonderful thing. I am having to deal with the manly things myself these days, such as taking care of house and car needs. Your sunset pic is beautiful. That is so cool that you got to be rewarded with the motorcycle ride. My husband used to take the neighborhood kids for ride on our little moped we had.

Empty Nester said...

I love reading about all the wonderful things you and your girls do together. I miss those days when mine were coming along but am so grateful for the memories. I've become way too chicken in my middle age to do a lot of things including ever getting on a motorcycle again. Sunsets are so pretty. I usually go for the sunrises around here. They're quite nice if you can make it to beach ahead of time and just wait. :)

Debby Ray said...

What a blessing it must be to have those beautiful daughters and they are certainly blessed to have you! I have always wanted farm animals but have never lived in the country. That may be changing in the next year or so...we'll see :) Enjoy the rest of your week!

Mrs.T said...

I like the sounds that you mentioned that people could get to know you by. Bird songs and other nature sounds -- that would be me as well. Never thought of mentioning that, so I'm glad you did! Loved all of your photos.

The harp is such a beautiful instrument. I love how you have nurtured your girls' interests and helped them to find their passions in life.

Oh, bike helmets -- don't get me started! I lived all my childhood bike-riding years without a helmet, as did everyone else I knew. Now that I think about it, I don't know of anyone who suffered a head injury as a result of a bike accident. And you're so right -- nowadays a church would never dare to use a motorcycle ride as a prize for anything. Too many liability issues!

Rita said...

Times have changed with the giving rides and helmets and all, that's for sure.

Yes, neutral shades, curtains, and carpeting allow lots of room for color in walls, furniture, artwork, accents pieces, etc. But you obviously love the green. :)

I'm an ENFP. But as the years have gone by and I have basically lived alone for so long (24 years) and been housebound for the past 12 of those...I am more of an E who chooses my own company--LOL! ;)

SENCO Cat Herder said...

So enjoyed reading your HodgePodge - so many lovely things you mentioned and special memories and such good photos too :) Have a wonderful week with your two girls!
Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

Gattina said...

I belong to the women who prefer to make a career and not stay home. But I managed to combine all, family and work. My husband shared the household and son with me so there had never been any problem. I do paint too !