Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hand-Embroidered Wool Felt Toys

I've been spending some time over the past few days making some new hand-embroidered toys.  I used all natural materials to create the toys:  wool felt, sheep wool stuffing, cotton embroidery floss, and cotton stockinette fabric.

Wool felt zebra...only 3 1/2" tall.

I made a zebra like this one about a year or so ago that I gave away.  Made another one this weekend for my daughters who enjoy playing with dolls.  Miniature animals - whether they are stuffed, carved from wood, or glass - make their way into the girls' play time and imagination.  

Since the zebra is for the girls, I decided to make a PDF pattern of the zebra that's available in my shop (Harvest Moon by Hand) so anyone can make one.

Another thing I made this weekend was a doll.  The pattern is from The Birthday Book - Celebrations for Everyone by Ann Druitt.  I've had this book on my shelf for some time now, and just pulled it out recently for some ideas.  I was pleasantly suprised to see all the different patterns for children's toys.

Walking Star Boy

One of the patterns is for a "walking star boy and jester."  I started with the walking star boy since that was the first pattern and seemed a bit easier than the jester which requires a bit more sewing/embroidery work.  The doll stands about 8 inches high (with the hat).

I haven't used stockinette fabric before, so this was my first attempt at trying to make a face and hands.  I chose not to put a face on the doll because then whoever plays with the doll can imagine what it looks like and its expression - the doll can be happy, upset, resting - whatever the girls want the doll to express - rather than having the same expression that dolls typically have when they're purchased from a store. 

Olivia was sick all day, so she rested in bed while I sat by her and made the doll. She chose the colors of the doll's outfit and hair; and enjoyed watching the doll-making process. By late afternoon, the doll was completed...just in time for her to hold onto as she rested.


Olivia resting with her new doll

In addition to providing comfort, the star boy provided Olivia with some entertainment while she was laying in bed.  Because the doll has a horizontal slit in the back, two fingers can be placed in the legs. In this way, the star boy can "walk" and move around which is a bit different than other dolls the girls have. 

Star boy kicking some felted acorns







7 comments:

Melanie said...

These are so cute! I've been wanting to try felting projects and you have inspired me to actually do it! Thanks for sharing! I found you on Funky Polkadot Giraffe and am now a follower. I would love for you to visit my blog as well!

Melanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com

Wendy said...

What a gorgeous zebra, he's so perfect!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Those are so adorable. I'm your newest follower. Be sure to stop by my blog Monday and add your project to the More The Merrier Monday Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Jill said...

What a gorgeous little jester - and great that you can put fingers in his legs to make him walk too! Fantastic!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Totemic said...

I love the doll, such a clever idea!
The zebra has such a fun character as well.
Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

oh, the zebra is the sweetest!
and the sleeping baby, of course. :)

I'm so glad you played at this week's Saturday's Artist!

Stephanie

Carol said...

These are lovely!