Thursday, January 21, 2021

Soulful Simplicity - Book Notes

 During the past couple of weeks, I read Soulful Simplicity - How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More by Courtney Carver. I found this book insightful with a lot of practical ideas for streamlining one's life in multiple areas so that a more authentic life can be led. 

There were some key things that I found interesting in the book and wanted to remember:

- One of the reasons we keep our lives so complicated is so we won't have to listen to our inner voice telling us what we need to do to make our lives work better.

- Getting rid of everything that doesn't matter allows you to remember who you are.

- I was too tired to make it to the gym, and when you feel like crap for long enough, you start treating yourself and everyone around you like crap.

- Take a look at your pain points, your suffering. It may be a chronic condition or disease, or maybe it's something else like a strained relationship, the stress of overdue bills, general fatigue, or just a sense of "something isn't right." Use any of them or all of them as a catalyst for change.

- I changed my diet, paid off my debt, decluttered my home, cleaned out my closet, quit my job, created work I love, downsized from a big house to a small apartment, deepened my relationships, owned my introvertedness, became soul-centered, and took my life back. 

Playing games as a family is something 
we want to do more of in 2021.

- If your heart isn't in the game, permanent change doesn't stand a chance.

- You have to do things you don't want to do so you can do things you want to do and have the kind of life you really want. 

- 3 things that had the greatest impact on the author's health: eating greens and other real food; walking, and sleeping. 

Healthy meal I made recently. 

- Make a list of 10 things you don't want to do that you know will help you. Choose one thing from your list that you can put into action immediately. 

- Whom do I envy and what do I lie about? Author Gretchen Rubin suggests that the answers to these questions might reveal things you need to change in your life. 

- Clutter attracts clutter and calm attracts calm.

- "Just in case" ownership of things. When you think about things you own, think about the following sentence and complete it: "I'm keeping this just in case ______________." One reason the author gave is that someone is afraid they won't have enough. Think about these questions: "Does this really matter to me?" or "Am I holding on for the right reasons?"

- Instead of going shopping, think of other things you can do. For example, take a walk, do yoga, call a friend, make a smoothie, sleep for an extra hour, write, meditate, or send a thank-you note. 

- Dave Ramsey said that 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and 90% are buying things they can't afford.

- When you need to buy things for your things, it's time for fewer things. Get rid of stuff instead of accumulating more things to store it in.

- Redefine success.

- After a while, I wasn't saying no because I was so busy, I was saying no because I didn't want to be so busy anymore. 

- Do a 30-minute practice of writing, yoga, and meditation each morning. Before doing anything for anyone else, take care of yourself first.

One of the views on a recent walk I took.

- A morning routine should boost your health, happiness, kindness, and inspiration.

- Instead of measuring ourselves by what we get done, let's measure by how we treat people and how we engage in our work. 

- Prioritize love and health.

- Work with people who want my best, not my busiest. 

- If I spend too much time online, I start feeding unhappy, dissatisfied, and disconnected from the real world.

- Take digital sabbaticals.

- You don't need an impressive title, big car or boat, or big business to live a beautiful life and be a beautiful person. 

- The secret to havign it all is recognizing that you already do.

- We can better serve the world when we have time to respond thoughtfully instead of reacting mindlessly.

- Reclaim the lost art of lingering by creating for thirty minutes. Draw, color in an adult coloring book, and do something creative. 

- Sentimental items can be the most challenging to release, but remember that less isn't none. 

- Our hearts know that our real treasures are not in the attic or contained in any physical thing. Our hearts know that real treasures are smiles, tears, moments, and people. 

The girls with the dogs by 
our Christmas tree in 2020.

- The simple yet sometimes hard truth is that your children don't want your stuff. They just want you.

- I don't want my legacy to be my storage containers of stuff.

- When I go, I want to be remembered for how I loved while I was here.

- Take pictures of your sentimental items or write about the reason you saved them. 

- Grief is the price we pay for love. 

- I created a lifestyle that is meaningful to me so it doesn't matter what other people think. I know what matters. This is my soulful simplicity. 

- Let go of the stuff that reprsents your past: the tent you never use, the boxes of things you are saving just in case. 

- Let go of the items you think others people may want someday. Instead of guessing, or assuming, ask them, "Do you want this?" If the answer is yes, give it to them. If the answer is no, let it go.

Books to Read:

- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez

- Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

- The Story of the Mexican Fisherman

Blog to Read: 

archives - Be More with Less

1 comment:

Rita said...

Sounds like a book full of good practical advice.
Best to all of you. :)