Thursday, October 31, 2019

My Favorite Photos - October 2019

This was a rather unusual month for us. It started with Olivia recovering from pneumonia and a double-ear infection. On October 10th, I had spinal surgery to address an injury from a car accident in November 2018 and the next day Sophia had a follow-up oral surgery due to complications from wisdom teeth removal in June 2019.

Aspen, one of our dogs, had surgery to remove a growth on her back left leg on October 21st. She had to go in to get it re-stitched because she opened it up by licking it at one day. She's been wearing a cone ever since then.

With that being said, there were some times I was able to capture some photos. Below are some of my favorite ones.

Normally we see some frogs on the window at night trying to catch bugs. This grasshopper, by far, is the largest and perhaps creepiest thing I've seen on the window yet.


On October 2nd, I took Olivia to the hospital after the walk-in clinic suggested she be admitted. She was struggling with getting over pneumonia and ear infections that she had since September 18th. A positive thing that came out of this visit was that she did not have to be admitted to the hospital. Instead, they gave her both prednisone and albuterol (on top of the other medications she was already taking). These helped her start feeling better and not coughing as much. So, it was a very good visit to the doctor.


On October 3rd, Scooby had made himself comfortable on the pile pillows on the cedar chest. I think of it as his own little throne since he is sitting higher than everyone else in the room.


We went to college to visit Sophia and have a meal in the dining center. As always, the food was excellent. Each of us had a different entrée.


The next day, the 4th, Olivia and I went back again to visit Sophia. We dropped off a couple of breakfast sandwiches that I made and froze in preparation for my surgery on the 10th. Our favorite part of the meal that day was the dessert: an ice cream/cookie sandwich, ice cream cone, and strawberry malt.


I washed the sheets on the bed and brought back the comforter when I was done. Aspen had wrapped herself in it. She looks comfortable on a chilly, rainy day.


On the 6th, I was washing blankets. I brought out this blanket from the dryer and cover Danny in it. He looked so content and toasty warm on another chilly day.


I created another care package for Sophia with the saying, "Orange you glad it's Fall" on the inside box flaps. It was filled with a variety of items that were orange or had orange in the packaging. She was surprised and happy to receive the package. 


As I mentioned above, I went in for spinal surgery on October 10th. In a matter of less than a morning, the nerve that was pinched that went from my neck to hands was released. I went in with pain and numbness in that arm and hand that was constant from November 2018 to the 10th. I left with NO pain or numbness. It was amazing! The only pain I have now is in the back of my neck at the surgical site. It should heal by mid-November or so.


Sophia came home on the 10th so she could have her surgery the next door. The dogs were thrilled to see her.


On the 13th, we celebrated 29 years of marriage. Olivia helped Paige pick out the bouquet of flowers. I like the autumnal colors and variety of flowers.


By the 18th, I was up and around and starting to walk longer distances. Olivia took her bike and I walked behind. We had a nice 2-mile ride/walk on a beautiful day.


We have been seeing beautiful sunsets throughout October.


Olivia is working on repairing and quilting two quilts. Cooper is looking out the window to protect Olivia from squirrels and rabbits.


On another walk/ride that Olivia and I went on, she rescued 16 woolly bear caterpillars as they were crossing the road. I'm not sure why they like crossing the road. They have plenty of natural elements on the sides of the road.


Here's a close-up of one of the caterpillars.


During October, we had the back garden completely trimmed down with the exception of a rose bush. It has been a challenge since we've moved in. I refuse to use chemicals in the gardens, so there's always weeds and grass in it. This year, I started pulling up the weeds and grass and replacing them with perennials. I got about 2/3 of the garden planted. Next Spring, I'm hoping that the perennials will overtake the weeds and grass.


One of the flowers we planted  were cleomes. They are about three feet tall and a beautiful shade of purple. Last year I harvested the seed pods. This year, I'm letting them drop to see if they will re-seed themselves and we'll have more next year.


Danny and Eenie enjoyed sitting in the sunlight one afternoon.


Since I'm still not able to drive because of the surgery, my sister took me out on a leaf-watching drive. Down the road from us was this big osprey at the top of a pine tree. Its talons were grasping either edge of the top of the tree. Its legs looked so powerful; and its body reminded me of a strong chicken body.


This is one of many beautiful roads around my home that we traveled down. The colors were so pretty against the blue sky.


This is my favorite oak tree in our northwest pasture. I'm taking the photo from the road looking south.


Some of the leaves on one of our trees.


This is a hibiscus that bloomed. Olivia and I got the hibiscus tree in Spring 2018. It did not overwinter well indoors, so we put it outside in Spring 2019 just to see what would happen to it. It went from having very few leaves to being filled out by the Fall. In October, there were two blooms - both orange. We were thrilled! There are many blooms on the tree so we should be seeing more in the next couple of months.


One of the sunsets that was eye-catching during October. I like how the colors of the sky and clouds are reflected in the pond.


Milkweed seeds are now formed and the pods are splitting open. The wind carries the seeds to new places where plants will grow next Spring. On many walks I've been taking, I pick the pods and spread the seeds to further distribute the milkweed seeds. I'm hoping to see a lot of milkweed plants next Spring and Summer for the monarchs.


In late-October, there was a lone thistle that was still bright purple. A week later, when I went by it on a walk, the color had faded substantially. This is a black-and-white version of the thistle. I thought all the textures of the plant and flower were interesting.


An  overcast day made a good backdrop for these tall weeds/grasses that were along the road.


This view of the northwest part of our farm never gets old. This is the view from the road. I like the golds, rusts, and browns of these trees with the bright white birch bark interspersed in landscape.


These milkweed seeds are ready to fly away. The afternoon sun illuminated the fluffy white floss that is attached to the seeds.


The wild cucumber vine is dried at this point in the season. The spikes are still sharp. We had always believed that this plant was invasive. It isn't. It's actually a native plant to Minnesota, and can grow 30-foot vines (or longer) that attach themselves to trees, fences, and other plants. If you don't want this plant to spread, it's important to take it down before the pods dry and the four seeds drop from the pod.


This is the view from the street of our home. The lawn was just mowed and leaves picked up. I can't believe how tall the pine trees have gotten in the front yard. They make the home look so small.


Inside, we decorated for Halloween. We lost a lot of our Halloween decorations in the fire at our farm in May 2018. So, this year I bought some lights for our windows. These lights were quite bright since they had groupings of lights rather than single ones. The window stars are ones I made this year.


The last weekend in October we went to the annual awards ceremony for 4-H. The centerpieces had two items by them on each table representing different 4-H project areas. At our table, we had a stuffed dog and ceramic rabbit.


Sophia earned several awards for her participation in 4-H for ten years, serving as an Ambassador last year, and for project records she did.


Olivia also earned her ten-year pin and certificate as well as many project record pins.


On one of the days counting down to Halloween, we had "Boonilla Shakes" and ghost-shaped pancakes for breakfast. Danny thinks that we've set a place for him at the table next to Sophia. He's ready for a pancake!


This month we each received refurbished bikes from an organization that gives bikes to youth and adults. In our case, we lose all our bikes in the fire last year and were unable to replace them. This organization was able to find a bike for Olivia that has three wheels so she can ride a bike! She has challenges with balance, so the bike she received is perfect for her. The minute she got on it, she was able to ride it. It even has a basket to carry her jacket, food, or even a small dog who may get tired from walking and need a ride.


Five years ago, Olivia planted this tree in the front yard. It now towers above her.


Sophia also planted a tree in the front yard and hers, too, stands well above her head.


It was a good month...despite the multiple surgeries. We were able to do a lot, see the leaves changing, and do fun things together as a family.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Wow! That was a LOT of surgeries!! Sounds like everyone's went well, everyone is doing okay now, and you had such a nice month regardless. Love the bikes. Always like seeing your property and how beautiful it is there. Happy Anniversary! So glad you are pain free!!! :)