Friday, July 31, 2015

Nature Photo of the Week - Week 31 - Found

This week's theme - Found - for the Nature Photo of the Week is an appropriate one for the photo below. It is a bug that I found in the garden that blended in so well with the nearby leaves that I almost didn't see it.


We believe this is a Bush Katydid. According to the Minnesota DNR, katydids are "loosely related to grasshoppers and crickets.

"Minnesota has many species distributed among five groups: bush, meadow, cone-headed, shield-bearing, and true katydids.

"Many resemble muscle-bound green to brown grasshoppers, from 1 to 2 inches long, with powerful hind legs and whiplike antennae. Like most insects, they have two forewings and two hind wings.

"Katydids eat the leaves of many trees and shrubs. They stay motionless among the leaves during the day and feed around sunset."

1 comment:

Rita said...

I was going to guess katydid. They are very delicate looking.
I don't know why I got about six posts at once, but I saw them all.
Funny how rather plain zucchini have such dramatic flowers.
More beehives sounds like a great idea!
Have a fabulous week! :)