Saturday, March 23, 2019

March 2019 Scavenger Hunt - Photography

This is a swap on Swap-Bot in you find five things to photograph and send the images to three partners. Below are my photos for the five items:

 A pretty sky photo 

Although this isn't a sunrise or sunset photo, I like this photo of the sky because it isn't snowing or raining. February and most of March have been filled with both which has created some challenges here with flooding. Our pond, which is normally half this size, continues to grow each day as the snow melts.


The photo was taken on the first day of Spring before I took all four dogs for a walk. I have to do two walks (two dogs at a time). They liked the warmer weather, no ice on the road, and seeing the cows down the block from us.


Something smooth

There are a couple of things that are smooth that I found. One is a figure of a camel that is carved from wood. I think, if I am recalling correctly, it is from an olive tree. My dad brought it back from a trip he took to Israel many years ago (probably two decades ago).



The other photo is of bowls I made in pottery class. I did the four on the right-hand side (the two in front and two in back); and my teacher did the bowl on the left side.


These are trimmed bowls, so the goal in the process was to create smooth sides by trimming and then using a wet sponge. Obviously, I am unable to make bowls that look like one another. I guess each will have a different purpose.

Something with the words "Have a Nice Day" on it

This was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. Apparently there are no signs, posters, or anything that has the words "Have a Nice Day" on it.

So, I printed out an image I found online of the phrase. I only have a black-and-white printer, so the colorful letters aren't shown in the image. As I looked at the image, I thought it would be fun to do as a papercutting and then fill in the letters with different colorful papers.


The image above is of Aspen, one of our dogs, laying on her back under the bed covers. She likes to burrow under them for some reason. She wasn't ready to get out of bed quite yet. I guess she's taking it easy on a Saturday morning.

Something tucked inside something else

The girls and I received an invitation to attend a volunteer appreciation lunch at the nursing home where we volunteer.



On Wednesday (the first day of Spring), we did an activity with some of the seniors at the nursing home to celebrate Spring. We had a nice time talking and spending time with them. Next month, we will go back and Olivia will be doing a presentation about the nature photos she took while Sophia plays harp music.

Something that gives you hope

This past week, Sophia and I worked on scholarship applications. From the 20th-22nd, we were able to write, print, and assemble 14 packets that went to various organizations, foundations, and businesses. We are hoping that some of these materialize into scholarships so that the costs for college are reduced and student loans don't have to be taken out during the first year (at least).



The other thing that gives me hope is when I see the little "whiskers" at the end of the Christmas Cactus leaves. This means that there will be new leaves that will grow from them.


I'm also hopeful that this plant will bloom this Easter. It usually blooms twice a year. However, this past Christmas it didn't bloom as much. There was only one bloom which is unusual. This is the plant that my Dad grew for decades. I have been able to take cuttings from it and create another plant.

It would be wonderful if both plants bloomed next month. I can only hope that these little whiskers are a good sign.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Lovely post! I hope you get your Easter blooms. :)